March - May Spring garden update (plus video garden tour)

Reaction score
We have recently added 18 Pepper plants in two Hugelkultur mounds along with 24 Tomato plants. I would like to add some basil around the Tomato plants--that would be interesting and beautiful companion planting.
There is many more pepper and tomato plants to be transplanted. I have around 50 or so Pepper plants growing in the mini greenhouse, waiting to be transplanted in a week. There are tomato plants growing in the compost bed which we will need to transplant in a week or more.

The cold weather vegetables have started to pick up growth again, now that the cold weather has passed. The Brussels and Broccoli are large. The lettuce and spinach are doing great because they are the only young plants unaffected by the flea beetles. I have been letting the flea beetles feast on all the young plants like Arugula, kale, collards, radish, and turnips; so I will plant more of these greens as well begin picking from all the young plants to encourage new growth.
I also implemented flowers alongside some of the affected plants, which may attract large insects then discouraging the flea beetles. Well, it's an experiment at least.
Here are some pictures of the developments in the garden, as well as a video garden tour at the end of this post.

For a detailed view of the garden, watch the video here:

Original post @ March - May Spring garden update (plus video garden tour)

-Cassie Kinney

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have recently added 18 Pepper plants in two Hugelkultur mounds along with 24 Tomato plants. I would like to add some basil around the Tomato plants--that would be interesting and beautiful companion planting.
There is many more pepper and tomato plants to be transplanted. I have around 50 or so Pepper plants growing in the mini greenhouse, waiting to be transplanted in a week. There are tomato plants growing in the compost bed which we will need to transplant in a week or more.

The cold weather vegetables have started to pick up growth again, now that the cold weather has passed. The Brussels and Broccoli are large. The lettuce and spinach are doing great because they are the only young plants unaffected by the flea beetles. I have been letting the flea beetles feast on all the young plants like Arugula, kale, collards, radish, and turnips; so I will plant more of these greens as well begin picking from all the young plants to encourage new growth.
I also implemented flowers alongside some of the affected plants, which may attract large insects then discouraging the flea beetles. Well, it's an experiment at least.
Here are some pictures of the developments in the garden, as well as a video garden tour at the end of this post.

For a detailed view of the garden, watch the video here:

Original post @ March - May Spring garden update (plus video garden tour)

-Cassie Kinney
Gorgeous and it will only get better

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
All this seems labour intensive. Do you get help around?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Have you used Hugelkultur methods before? I've been reading about it and seeing mixed reviews. It seems to be a really good approach for growing some things because of the moisture.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I like your garden, i can see alot of work went into it. Nice video, a beautiful garden. i especially like how you used those white tags to indicate what is growing there. your garden you can tell someone enjoys gardening. i use those beetle traps that you hang near the garden, they work very well and catch lots of Japanese beetles

Ask a Question