Manzano Pepper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I've tried sprouting some seeds from a manzano pepper recently. I can get the seeds to germinate in a paper towel/ziplock, at best, 30%. Without fail, ever one has died when moving to soil. I read they grow in Peru on mountain sides. Are my efforts entirely doomed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've tried sprouting some seeds from a manzano pepper recently. I can get the seeds to germinate in a paper towel/ziplock, at best, 30%. Without fail, ever one has died when moving to soil. I read they grow in Peru on mountain sides. Are my efforts entirely doomed?
No, your efforts need a little change is all. Instead of paper towels and plastic bags make yourself little terrariums using a PREMIUM seed starting mix. I use those zip-loc food freezer containers and put saran wrap on top sealed with a rubber band. Keep you temps about 80F. Where you get your seeds is also very important. A 30% rate is not great but it is also not terrible for this type of pepper. It normally takes this type of pepper longer to germinate than say a hot wax or jalepeno but not as long as the super hots. I have never had much luck growing under artificial light with hot peppers and now is too early for direct sunlight in our area. If you have a temperature controlled green house this would be fine. I have grown these peppers in South Texas so your area should be OK. The secret is controlling the tiny seedlings growing conditions. Once they have 2 sets of true leaves things are much easier

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
No, your efforts need a little change is all. Instead of paper towels and plastic bags make yourself little terrariums using a PREMIUM seed starting mix. I use those zip-loc food freezer containers and put saran wrap on top sealed with a rubber band. Keep you temps about 80F. Where you get your seeds is also very important. A 30% rate is not great but it is also not terrible for this type of pepper. It normally takes this type of pepper longer to germinate than say a hot wax or jalepeno but not as long as the super hots. I have never had much luck growing under artificial light with hot peppers and now is too early for direct sunlight in our area. If you have a temperature controlled green house this would be fine. I have grown these peppers in South Texas so your area should be OK. The secret is controlling the tiny seedlings growing conditions. Once they have 2 sets of true leaves things are much easier
Awesome. Thank you so much. These have QUICKLY become my favourite peppers. Cant wait to put this to good use. Thanks Chuck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like Chuck has you covered (y) Welcome to the forum @Savage Ali! Let us know how you get on with the seedlings :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for asking and Chuck thanks for answering. I tried to grow them last year with no luck.

Thank you!
It took me 3 tries to grow them. I think it has to do with humidity but am not sure. After I finally had them grow and had a decent crop I didn't like them all that much and went to other varieties.

Ask a Question