Mango tree wants heat to bear flower

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We are in a tropical country and where we live is a much hotter area than Metro Manila. That is the reason why there are so many mango trees in our village because an oldtimer said that they burn something for the mango tree in the farm to make the tree bear flowers while in our place, the heat is natural so the mango trees are fruiting heavily during the summer season. So that is the reason why I used to see in the provinces the burning of dried leaves under the mango tree, that is to force it to bear flowers and eventually fruits.

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I love mangoes. I would say it is one of my favorite fruits, well, next to pineapple.

I never knew heat helped mangoes fruit at summer, that explains why there are so many mangoes at summer time.

Thanks for the information, it was really helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't know that farmers burn something to create heat for mangoes to grow. That is interesting and I love mangoes. I couldn't refuse not to buy one when I see one :)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Mangoes are very abundant in our country. I live in the province where there's at least one mango tree in someone's yard which is why during harvest time, Indian mangoes, the smallest kind of mangoes we have, would sell for 21 cents per kilo. The big yellow ones are quite cheap here as well. If travelers are to visit the beach resorts here that serve buffets, you might find our mangoes unforgettable.

Ask a Question