Making Rose Hip Syrup

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
An excellent way of storing vitamin C for the winter months.

007-6.jpg
Gathered half a kilo

001-23.jpg
Took the stems off & chopped them up

002-18.jpg
Get them into boiling water asap as the vitamin C starts breaking down as soon as they are chopped. As soon as it comes back to the boil turn off the heat and let stand for 15 mins.

008-10.jpg
Pour into a jelly bag & let drip, or squeeze if you don't mind it cloudy. This is to strain all the irritating hairs out.

Boiled the pulp up again & added 500grams of sugar.

Pour into sterilised bottles. Ready to drink as soon as its cooled.

029-1.jpg
I drink a couple of tablepoons a day in the winter, often stirred into a glass of milk.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Copied this from an earlier thread as it's that time of year again :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I noticed you said you drink a couple of teaspoons of it a day, are there certain health benefits other than Vitamin C? I'm curious about it now! :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
2 teaspoons was the recommended dose on the bottles they used to sell in the chemists shops :) It's got 20 times the vitamin C that oranges have.

Not sure of any other benefits other than it tastes lovely :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
2 teaspoons was the recommended dose on the bottles they used to sell in the chemists shops :) It's got 20 times the vitamin C that oranges have.

Not sure of any other benefits other than it tastes lovely :)

Tasting lovely is enough for me! Sounds like it would be a good thing to have around the house in winter time anyway to ward off all the germs and stuff - I find myself drinking loads of orange juice when I'm sick, but this sounds like it packs way more of a punch with the Vitamin C than OJ does! :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It does, kept Britain going during the war. Couldn't have fought the Nazis if we'd all come down with Scurvy :eek:

We do have another plant that's high in Vit C, called Scurvy Grass or Sea Spoons, it grows around the coasts and tastes 'orrible :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It does, kept Britain going during the war. Couldn't have fought the Nazis if we'd all come down with Scurvy :eek:

We do have another plant that's high in Vit C, called Scurvy Grass or Sea Spoons, it grows around the coasts and tastes 'orrible :D[/QUO

Totally love this forum, the wealth of information is incredible. Would have never known that these plants are high in vitamin C and who knew, there's something called Scurvy Grass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Sounds wonderful! Thank you for posting this guide Zigs:) I think I'll give it a try. It will be a perfect winter drink:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Totally love this forum, the wealth of information is incredible. Would have never known that these plants are high in vitamin C and who knew, there's something called Scurvy Grass?

There's also a plant called Pilewort, but you don't want to know what that is used for :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds wonderful! Thank you for posting this guide Zigs:) I think I'll give it a try. It will be a perfect winter drink:)

I know your English is better than mine, but i'm just making sure you got the bit about straining the hairs out @claudine

They're a dangerous internal irritant :)

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Rose is not just a beautiful flower, it is multi purpose herb. All parts of rose plant are edible and very useful in various ailments. I have used rose stem tea, rose petal tea and rose petal sherbet, however, I have never made rose hip syrup. Thanks for the tutorial. I have a question though. You are not using any preservative, so how long does this syrup last.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You can make a smoking pipe from the root too :D

Vitamin C and sugar are preservatives themselves, would last for years, but it's too tasty and doesn't survive the winter with me around :p

Best kept in the fridge once the bottle's been opened though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I must admit this is a new one on me, I have never heard of Rose Hip Syrup, but it does sound very interesting. You never know what kind of brew is possible when you start using natural materials. I bet Rose Hip is high in vitamins and minerals and lots of good stuff. I think it is something I would like to try.

Ask a Question