Making a woven raised bed garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have been reading about making a raised bed for gardening, by using some small wood and/or vines that you may have around your property. Some of them are very well constructed, and others are completely rustic, according to the materials that you have, and what you want it to look like.
I am including a picture of a woven raised bed, so you can see how it looks, and from there, it is kind of a "make it how you want " project. We have a lot of small bushes and trees in the woods around our trailer, and so ours will probably one of the rustic styled ones, which will go with our lifestyle here in the country, as well.
Basically, you make some stakes about a foot apart, and then weave either small branches or vines through them, and then fill it with dirt and plant it. If you live near a lot of bushes and trees, there should be a lot of natural material to use. Or you can use vines, if you have those on your property. We have a lot of kudzu here in the south, so I may be trying out some of that also.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I saw those willow beds on Facebook the other day. I think they are so cool, though I wonder how long the baskets would last. I'm not sure how practical it is to do these in the round unless you have a lot of land space.

Reaction score
What a fantastic idea for raised garden bed. I'm sure I could never create a woven bed like the picture you posted. :p
It looks like a great project as long as you have time and patience. I do lack a little of both at the moment since I am so busy with my kids.

Reaction score
I think those are great! Another design concept might be to make them like donuts, with a notch-like opening. This way you could stage yourself in the center on a swiveling stool while you tend to everything from one position. It might make an interesting design experiment.

Reaction score
Those are really pretty and rustic looking. They look like a lot of work and I don't know where people find the patience to weave those giant baskets.
Wouldn't they biodegrade if you start watering plants inside them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Those are really pretty and rustic looking. They look like a lot of work and I don't know where people find the patience to weave those giant baskets.
Wouldn't they biodegrade if you start watering plants inside them?

LOL, that's way more work than I ever want to do in the garden! No one in the city has time to weave their own raised bed planter, but maybe if you lived in a rural area and had people to help you it could work. I have enough to do just keeping up with flower pots!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very nice idea. More work than I would want to do I sure but it works for you and that is great.

Ask a Question