Making a living den or playhouse from willow or other plants!

Reaction score
How to grow your child a living den or playhouse from willow or other plants

Ever thought about making something like this? I am considering making a runner bean one for next year. My kids would love to have their own little cubby hole place to hide! I think doing beans this way would also help them to grow well and give them lots of room to climb!

I would love to do the willow den, but not sure if I am up for such a large permanent structure.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There's a Willow snake at our local nature reserve,

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

Never got around to going back to see it with the leaves on, will try in the spring if i,m still in the UK:)

Reaction score
Oh wow, I can't even use words to describe how much I love that!!! It would be so cool and shady inside when it is all grown in!! *swoon* I want it!! Hmmm, now to make a plan on paper and try to talk husband into agreeing to give me that much space.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to take a detour to the local Willows & Wetlands centre today, they've been doing some sculptures (They even sell a diy kit)

But all the roads around there are still underwater:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I would love to have one of the willow living walls, too. I looked at a picture that someone had shaped one into a covered seating area, and it was so private and just beautiful with all the greenery around the seat. I have thought about making one from vining kind of plants, like was mentioned making with pole beans, and I think that would work well,too, and you don't have to get the willow and learn how to grow it the right way, to make a bean vine one. And with some added Morning Glories, it would be gorgeous, and smell good besides !

Reaction score
I love this idea, but instead of making a small den that my child whill out grow I'm going to make a walled seating area that everyone can enjoy. I've been searching for an enclosure idea for my oustide kitchen and I think this might be just perfect. I have searched through some photos and the willow walls look simply magical. I do have a couple of hang backs about the evasiveness of the willow root system. I am also unsure of where to get willow stems.

Attachments

• P1010611.jpg
    P1010611.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 573
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, those are just wonderful ideas for playhouse, and they serve for double purposes if you grow the green beans. My children are all grown now, but I will keep this idea for the grand children :)

Ask a Question