Low Light Roses

Reaction score
I have a rather large area that gets flitered, or every little sunlight. I am wanting to put some lovely roses in this area. I have never grown roses in this space. I have always thought roses had to have full sunlight. Rcently someone told me that there were roses that required filtered sunlight.
Do any of you know of some that I might try?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The only rose I know that will grow and bloom in filtered light is Zephirine Drouhin, a rose-pink tall rose (to 10'). It is an antique rose, own-root, and hardy in zones 5 through 9.
Roses do require more light, and are prone to diseases in a shaded area. Why not look into other blooming plants that would enjoy a shady area?

Reaction score
The only rose I know that will grow and bloom in filtered light is Zephirine Drouhin, a rose-pink tall rose (to 10'). It is an antique rose, own-root, and hardy in zones 5 through 9.
Roses do require more light, and are prone to diseases in a shaded area. Why not look into other blooming plants that would enjoy a shady area?
I am open to suggestions. I have not done a thing to this area, except amend the soil over the last twenty years. I have put sand and gravel in this spot about fifteen years ago. I have brought in top soil a couple of times. It has set for a least ten years. Now that I have the time, I would like to develope something nice to look at.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Inatoy, I'm sorry to be so late in responding to your post, but I had to think about shade gardening (a rarity here in Texas!) and what I grew in the shade in upstate NY. So, here is a list of possible blooming plants that require shade:
Astilbe, which comes in white or pink
Solomon's Seal, which has pretty foliage and a white pendulant flower
Lady's Mantle, which is low growing and has a lovely yellow blossom
Huechera (I'm not sure of the spelling) for foliage and flower
Mint, but keep it in a pot because it spreads like crazy
American Beauty Berry, which is a shrub, but not rampant and has pink flowers in spring, and develops purple berries in the fall

I'm sure there are gardeners here more familiar with shade gardening, and perhaps they will chime in!

Reaction score
Thank you for answering Marlingardener. We have five acers, so there are plenty of sunlight for the many plants that need full sun. Our log cabin is quite old, and it has several really big oak trees surrounding. This is where we have lots of shade, and filtered sunlight. I love mint, and that might make a good ground cover. I also have a gardenia plant that my late mother gave me a cutting of. I have been nursing it along now for several years. It is a bit punny, but it has made it through the freezes we have in this area. I'll check the local nurseries for the ones you have suggested.:cool::D

Ask a Question