Loquat trees: grafting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
I have two 5-6 year old loquat trees that were planted by the last tenant. They are lovely and I have been anxiously awaiting to taste the first loquats! Until I found out I live on the cusp of zone 7b/ 8a... And loquats in my city experience a winter mild enough to fruit in January about once every ten years.

Poo.

So now I have two pretty large tropical trees taking up valuable solar real estate for my fruit and vegetable garden. I was wondering if it's too late to attempt to graft another fruit on to the loquats, like pears or quince? I'm a beginner gardener and know nothing about grafting, but would like a fruit yield of some kind.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, there are records of Loquat (Rhaphiolepis biba, formerly Eriobotrya japonica) being grafted to Apples (Malus), Pears (Pyrus), Quince (Cydonia), and other related genera of Pome-bearing trees in the Rose Family (Rosaceae).
There are various caveats to consider with inter-generic grafting, and overall the success rate is lower, but it may be possible.
Grafting is a skill you could potentially learn, but you may prefer to seek out and hire the services of a skilled grafter.

Ask a Question