Little visitors in the compost.

Reaction score
We have a bigger box made from palettes, open at the ground so we can easily access the old and usable compost. But a smaller hedgehog family decided to move in the compost box and did do many small saves and tunnel that now it's all collapsed.

We can't use it because the fresh compost is everywhere and also I am afraid that the hedgehog family will be hurt somehow. Any stories with animals around your compost?

hedgehog.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah that's a shame you can't use your compost, albeit for a worthy reason. I wish we had hedgehogs in our garden, they would have a feast of slugs and snails! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Such a cute little guy, the only thing that visit my compost pile is the bunny rabbit, I don't mine him/ her hanging out there lots of poop in the compost pile. I'm not sure why it like the compost pile but its doing a good thing for the pile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't have hedgehogs and it is probably not okay with us for rats or mice to inhabit our compost bin. But the welcome occupant of our compost bin is the toad, actually they are many in our backyard garden. We deem it okay because toads eat mosquitoes so that means they are helpful to us. It is noticeable that the horde of mosquitoes are gone now. Here is our visitor that may be a prince someday -
IMG_6488 toad.JPG

Reaction score
That frog looks like that enjoying your compost box very much, and believe me I do understand your concerns about the rats and mosquitoes around it. Luckily I live in a cottage so I did not and hopefully never have to deal with rats.

Ask a Question