Little black bugs! ewww

Reaction score
I keep having the same problem over and over. I have a few plants on my back porch and every time I water them I see these little black bugs start to come out of the soil. I don't ever see them on the actual plant just inside the dirt. My plants are all doing well, so I'm assuming they don't pose any harm but it's gross. I wouldn't mind leaving well alone but there are times I need to bring the plants inside due to occasional cold weather here in Florida. Any advice?
Thank you,
Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I keep having the same problem over and over. I have a few plants on my back porch and every time I water them I see these little black bugs start to come out of the soil. I don't ever see them on the actual plant just inside the dirt. My plants are all doing well, so I'm assuming they don't pose any harm but it's gross. I wouldn't mind leaving well alone but there are times I need to bring the plants inside due to occasional cold weather here in Florida. Any advice?
Thank you,
Danyel :)
Can you get a pic of the bug? Can't positively tell you how to eliminate it without knowing what it is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If I were you, I'd repot all plants. Change soil, this way you'll get rid of those nasty bugs.
The only thing I hate about gardening are scary insects and awful pests that seem to hide everywhere:eek:

Reaction score
Can you get a pic of the bug? Can't positively tell you how to eliminate it without knowing what it is
My neighbor said she thinks they are gnats!!! They do fly but I have no clue really. :/ I think I may just start all over and replant them. I think that would make me feel better as well. If you do know what or why they all of a sudden got into the plants I would be curious to know. Thank you so much !!!

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd repot all plants. Change soil, this way you'll get rid of those nasty bugs.
The only thing I hate about gardening are scary insects and awful pests that seem to hide everywhere:eek:
That's exactly what my plan is ! It's gross, so I think I would feel better just to replace the soil and keep an eye on things from there. Nasty bugs!!! :) Thank you so much for your suggestion. Planning on that project tomorrow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My neighbor said she thinks they are gnats!!! They do fly but I have no clue really. :/ I think I may just start all over and replant them. I think that would make me feel better as well. If you do know what or why they all of a sudden got into the plants I would be curious to know. Thank you so much !!!
If they are gnats or fruit flies you are wasting your time changing the soil. They will be right back. If they are gnats or fruit flies the best solution is to drench the soil with spinosad when you water the plants. A pic would be most helpful. If I were to guess I would say that they are fruit flies. Florida has an abundance of them

Reaction score
If they are gnats or fruit flies you are wasting your time changing the soil. They will be right back. If they are gnats or fruit flies the best solution is to drench the soil with spinosad when you water the plants. A pic would be most helpful. If I were to guess I would say that they are fruit flies. Florida has an abundance of them
Thank you so much for your advice! I just went to Lowe's and I actually brought one of the plants I was having trouble with. You were exactly right, even without me sending a picture! They said fruit flies are very common in Florida and they have people come in all the time with the same problem. They suggested spinosad like you suggested. I have it in hand so that's my next project for the day. Getting rid of those annoying bugs!!

Thank you again for your expertise in this matter. I appreciate you all. :)

Ask a Question