leylandi

liz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently installed a garden street light lampost in our front garden. It was properly connected by a qualified electrician. An armoured cable runs alongside a leylandi hedge into the house. It has only been turned on at the most a dozen times in
8 months and only for a few minutes at a time. Our neighbour is now complaining that the electric cable is turning the hedge brown in patches and killing it. We dont think its possible. Any advice please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We recently installed a garden street light lampost in our front garden. It was properly connected by a qualified electrician. An armoured cable runs alongside a leylandi hedge into the house. It has only been turned on at the most a dozen times in
8 months and only for a few minutes at a time. Our neighbour is now complaining that the electric cable is turning the hedge brown in patches and killing it. We dont think its possible. Any advice please.
I think your neighbor is full of s!it. If the leaves are turning brown and NOT falling off it is either one or more of these things. Over/under watering, fertilizer poisoning, herbicide poisoning or some type of fungus. Leaves not falling off is usually a sign of something terminal. If the leaves are falling off it is more than likely a temporary situation caused by any and or all of the above only to a lessor degree. The only type of electricity that is going to damage a plant is a lightning strike and the minuscule amount of light your are describing is helpful if anything. Here in Texas it would be time to say KMA and get a life

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your neighbor is a nincompoop. Leylandi is notoriously hard to kill, can be invasive and certainly isn't going to be harmed by the presence of a street light.
I'd laugh in his face and tell him to prove his case with expert cites, or STFU.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with everyone here! Your neighbor has nothing else to complaint and no one to pin the sick tree on, so you are it! I think you might have to do a research, print it out and give the proof to your neighbor next time she whines.

liz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for those who responded to my thread. I can now sleep tonight knowing that I haven't killed his damn hedge. lol :)

Ask a Question