Leaves with yellowed veining

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I don't see any evidence that this problem is being caused by bugs but rather suspect too much water (it's the rainy season here) or perhaps some lacking nutrient. The healthy green leaves in the background contrast with the unhealthy leaves in the foreground. The plant is Cestrum nocturnum (Night blooming Jasmine)

P1020313.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I gave the plant a good dose of molasses (a good source of potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, Vit B6, and zinc), when i lifted up the mulch cover of coco fiber i discovered some small to medium sized beetles scurrying around. They are fairly flat, black/brown, look like maybe a cockroach relative, and seem to be living underground. I removed all the coco mulch and discovered much of the bark eaten away on the main stems where the stems meet the soil. I ruffled up the soil and discovered several of these critters pop out of the soil to see what was going on (sorry, no photo) and squished them bare-handed (oh yuk!) as fast as i could catch them. They are quick little movers. This was the only wild life i found in the soil and i figure they are the guilty ones. The main stems that have had bark removed are now protected with aluminum foil. I am leaving the coco mulch off for the duration of the rainy season. I sprinkled cinnamon and DE around which will only be effective until the next rain (which will probably be in a few more hours). I know Chuck has often recommended Spinosad drench, but so far it doesn't seem to be available in Mexico. I have checked online and also at the Home Depot. Any ideas what these bugs might be? Any non-toxic ideas for solutions? Maybe a garlic drench?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The best way is to go organic. This would involve mixing a variety of bitter weeds like Mexican marigold, comfrey and others and heating them to extract the active principles. Then add a piece of a bar of soap to act as a carrier of the pesticide them spraying on the crops. This can be done on any time of the day because unlike chemical pesticides, this chemical is not deleterious to beneficial insects.

Ask a Question