Leaves with white edges?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Does anyone know what causes these white edges to occur starting on the outside edges of the leaves? This particular plant is Lantana, but it is also happening on the parsley. I don't recall having this problem in the past, so it is new to me this year.

P1020089.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I think i have found the answer to my own question. I have read that this condition occurs when the soil is lacking iron, so i have started adding iron to the soil with the hope that it will help. Already i have seen some improvement and the new growth on the plants is looking much healthier. As an organic gardener, there is a consideration how to add iron to the soil. There is chelated iron that organic gardeners use but it contains EDTA to presumably help the plants absorb the iron. I am a little wary of this, so i have chosen unsulphured organic molasses to treat the plants with yellow leaves and the leaves that are turning white. I used a double dose (2oz/gal (4 liters) initially and will continue watering these plants weekly until the rains come with 1oz unsulphured organic molasses/gallon of water or compost tea. I believe the yellowing of leaves can be caused by watering too frequently so before starting the iron treatments, i made sure that over-watering was not the problem. Unsulphured molasses contains Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin B6, and Magnesium (no sodium) in the order of potency.

Ask a Question