Lavender questions & hopes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Could I manage to grow lavender? The possible places in my flower bed get 2 hours of morning sun, but then 5 hours of afternoon sunshine. (It's an odd spot)

A massive Blue Hill salvia is flopping in the place I would like to put the lavender. Could Blue Hill survive being moved/transplanted in the spring or fall?

How easy/challenging is "Hidcote" lavender for growing in Massachusetts? I love a sweet scent, and fo not enjoy the scent of camphor (Munstead) as much. Would I treat it like the Blue Hill salvia, meaning some water to get it established, then very minimal water the second year?
Would I need to line the planting hole with gravel or sand? I'm just not sure how fussy the plants might be. I know not to allow it's feet to be wet.

My hopes are for a pretty, sweetly-scented plant that I could dry the flowers sometimes for sachets, or use in cooking.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Lavender likes heat, so keep it in a pot with well drained potting mix that has been amended with sand and protect it as needed. Look for a variety that does well in your climate - check with your local extension service or herb society.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thank you, Chanell. :) Perhaps I'll line the hole with coarse sand for drainage.

Ask a Question