Knee pads or board

Reaction score
I love being right down in my garden and flowerbeds. I always weed by hand! However, my knees are not what they use to be. I need a little something softer than the ground on them now. So do you have a knee board or knee pad you can recommend? If you have something else you use to save your knees, I would welcome that, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My grandfather uses a pillow wrapped in a plastic bag. According to him, it's a very convenient and inexpensive solution. I'm not sure if a very low stool wouldn't be a better idea though.

Reaction score
Although I do have a knee pad - which was bought for me as a present :D I rarely use it- especially as whenever I try to - a big gust of wind normally whisks it away and I land up chasing it round the garden - so I tend to crouch rather than kneel.

I love that tip of yours Claudine - wrapping a pillow in a plastic bag is a very novel but extremely good idea for sore knees.

The only other thing I could suggest and one that would really save your knees - is this

garden joke zimmer frame 2.jpg

Reaction score
That is too funny! I might try the pillow thing. We have a thrift store here and there are always pillows there. I could test some of them out and bring them home. Then, if I ruined them it would not be so bad. I saw some rectangle ones last time I was there, that were couch decoration pillows. I hope they are still there! Any other thoughts still welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm glad you like my granfather's idea:) Sometimes, he can be pretty creative. Nothing is as soft as a pillow, so it sounds like a nice solution. Also, it can help you save some money.
If I left a pillow in my garden, it would be a problem, because I'm sure my dog would lie on it immediately. He is very acquisitive:p

Reaction score
Kneeling is a problem so I sit on a milk crate, if I kneel I have a hard time getting up and down. to prevent my rear end from being permanently imprinted with a waffle pattern I put an old cushion or towel down.

Reaction score
my hubby put together this tractor sitter thingy for one of his clients. I want one. the chair swivels any direction so you can easily put it in between rows and move it with you feet as you sit. doesn't look cheap and i'm broke, but I'll take donations for one!
740710p.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, this tractor sitter thing looks great! I believe it may be very useful. I love this idea. I wonder how much does it cost. I'm sure it would quickly become popular if it wasn't expensive.

Reaction score
I googled prices and see a range from $149 to $199 but it's really sturdy. I had to take the one hubby put together and drop it off at the clients house, it was a bit heavy, so I think the price is very fair.

the only thing I would change or rather add on these is a handle somewhere. I remember it was difficult for me to push all the way to my mini-van. LOL

Reaction score
Wow, that tractor thing is fancy. How high is it off the ground? I might have to put something like this on my birthday list.

Reaction score
I love being right down in my garden and flowerbeds. I always weed by hand! However, my knees are not what they use to be. I need a little something softer than the ground on them now. So do you have a knee board or knee pad you can recommend? If you have something else you use to save your knees, I would welcome that, too.

You can buy an inexpensive knee pad at most garden centers. I bought mine at Lowes.
Some creative folks make their own knee pads. Use an old pillow. Wrap it in plastic or cloth such as an old towel or blanket you no longer use. The cloth or plastic will protect the pillow from getting dirty.

Ask a Question