Kitchen Herb Garden

Reaction score
I have heard so much about these kitchen herb gardens people have. What kind of herbs can you grow in a kitchen? Does it matter what side of the house your kitchen is on?

I have an East facing window I could put small pots in, so they would get the morning sunlight, but it's not a lot of hours, and not the heat of the day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
My kitchen herb garden is just close to the kitchen. I have parsley, garlic chives, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, sage, and thyme just outside the kitchen door--handy when I need some herbs for cooking. The thyme, parsley, and oregano come inside in small pots for the windowsill, but being in Texas, and since the herb garden is close to the house brick foundation, I don't worry too much about cold weather.
I'd think that your east-facing window would be ideal for parsley, mint, and even perhaps thyme. All these adapt well to small pots, especially if you use them frequently and keep them trimmed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basil always did well in my parents kitchen with minimal light in what I believe was a southwest facing window.

Reaction score
As the majority of herbs require a southern exposure and do best when placed in a south, southeast or southwest facing window - you are unfortunately a little more restricted when it comes to what you can be grown on an east facing windowsill and although some have already been mentioned - like for instance - any of the mint or thyme family as well as parsley which does particularly well in low light conditions - you might also like to consider lemon balm and pineapple sage too - especially as they both are known to do extremely well when grown in an east facing window.

I would however just add - that one thing to bear in mind when growing herbs in an east facing window - is that you may find that your plants don't grow quite as much or as big - as they would if grown in a south facing window and also that they will need to be turned on a regular basis - to make sure that the plants get an adequate amount of light on all sides.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I actually haven't started mine yet. Unfortunately my kitchen has no windows :( and I'm not sure that would work for most herbs...I would have to do a small one in the bedroom, which has an East facing window. But I'm interested in it for sure, and I would love to have a few herbs starting soon- basil, thyme, parsley and sage in particular.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have a north facing window in my kitchen, so the herbs that I grow there don't get a lot of sunlight, but they look healthy:) My mint is really big! I also have basil and thyme.
There is nothing better than food cooked with fresh herbs:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never had long term luck with herbs. I don't know what it is. I have tried several times and even bought the already started plants at the store. Within days though, despite natural light and water they wither and die. I would like to think perhaps it is a lower quality plant to begin with and not just me :(

Reaction score
I so want one of these. I am getting ready to plant an herb garden. I love most herbs and I believe that it saves money to grow your own. I enjoy using rosemary, thyme, basil, and sage when I cook. I have grown all of these in the past.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I think we are misunderstanding the term "kitchen herb garden." It doesn't necessarily mean the herbs are grown in the kitchen, or even indoors. Kitchen herb garden means having an herb garden filled with herbs you use in the kitchen, and in many cases, as close to the kitchen as possible for ease of harvesting when you need a bit to add to a dish.
Smartmom, how about adding oregano to your herb garden? I've found it to be very useful, and it also dries well so you can use it all year 'round.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have any experience using incandescent lights for indoor herbs? Do you recommend a specific brand or type of bulb? I don't think mine are getting quite enough light in my kitchen window, plus I'd like to try to keep them alive all year round.

Reaction score
I want a kitchen herb garden as well, I;d like to grow: marjoram, thyme, oregano, basil, lemon balm, mint and we wil see what else :) As far as I know growing herbs indoors is not hard at all. It's actually very easy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have mint, basil and lemon grass if that is considered herb. My husband is planning to learn how to use herbs properly in cooking because he said, what is the use of planting herbs when we don't use it anyway. He actually had removed the aishitaba tea in the garden that was very prolific. It was taking in too much space but we don't know how to use it and we have no plans of using it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My kitchen window doesn't receive any direct sun all through the day (blocked by the neighbor's two story house), so I can't grow any herbs. If I could, I would grow basil, cilantro, and rosemary.

Reaction score
I would love a kitchen herb garden. I will have to look more into how I can make a kitchen herb garden. I am sure that if I do a search on youtube and google that I will find this information. I enjoy using herbs and am sure that this would help me eat healthier and save some money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I have quite alot of herbs growing in the back garden, but have grown basil on the window ledge in the kitchen, does pretty well but not as well as growing in a planter outside I have found :) Which is a shame, as it is much easier to pluck a few leaves from the window ledge than have to out to the garden when cooking! Might try some water cress and chive though, as they're always handy to have readily available :D

Ask a Question