JB's Native Garden

A 2000+ square foot native garden intended to help wildlife.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JBtheExplorer submitted a new Showcase Item:

JB's Garden

This year, I've got an 8' x 8' spot for a new garden I'm going to be working on. It's going to include mostly native plants, with a few others, all listed below. It will be created as a mini-habitat for pollinating insects and have a special focus on Monarch Butterflies. I also have 2' x 2' spots under bird nesting boxes, which I plan to plant much of the same.

Black Eyed Susan
Purple Coneflower
Gray-Headed Coneflower
Butterfly Flower
Swamp Milkweed
Blanket Flower
Blazing Star
Spiderwort
Blue Arrows Rush

Once the season begins, I will focus this showcase on that garden and its progress, Until then I'll show how gardening became a hobby.

Gardening started for me when I added a pond to my yard. It started years ago with a 30g pond and after two upgrades is now an 800g pond. I won't get into every single plant I have, but I'll show you some of my favorites and maybe explain why I like them, but first, here's the entire pond area last summer.
IMG_7550_4_zps7fb01a60.png

I have 6 types of water lilies in the pond in various shades of pink and yellow. These are the two brightest species. The first is called Perry's Orange Sunset, and the second is called Mayla Brilliant Pink.
DSCN5727copy_zpsd62e0168.png

DSCN5680_2_zpsb72cdad7.png

In my bog, which filters my pond, I grow different kinds of water plants such as this Horsetail Rush. It's native to the US and looks a little like mini bamboo. Its spreads, so its important to grow in a container or some place that it can be prevented from getting out of control.
DSCN5916_zpsa11257cd.png

This plant was a mystery plant to me. I didn't know where it came from or what it was. When it bloomed, I found out that it's Blue Flag Iris. Its another native plant, which is always a great thing.
dscn5414-png.71141

Around the pond I have all types of plants including my favorite flower, Blanket Flower.
IMG_0775_zpsb69990f7.png

This one is called Mexican Sunflower "Torch". Those of you who love Hummingbirds need this plant! I've never seen so many hummingbirds per day before I planted it. It needs a lot of space, though. The seed packet I purchased said...

Read more about this showcase item here...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Very nice JB. If not for the pond, I would have thought you were taking pics, and discussing the flowers in my yard. I also have two packs of Mexican Sunflower seeds that I will plant for the first time this year. (Tithonia) 'Girasal Mexicano' Another plant I would like to suggest to you if you are looking for a little height in your butterfly garden is Eupatorium dubium ‘Little Joe’ (Joe Pye weed) or maybe Bee Balm 'Monarda' Can't wait to see the finished product! Happy gardening. (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Lovely garden JBH. I like your idea of natives in your garden. I have incorporated quite o few Australian natives into my garden. There is a great nursery 30 minutes from here which has only Australian natives, also has a great cafe and great gift shop so a lovely outing.:) They do have a few marked "I AM A FUSS POT" and they are! :confused: Most of those have died on me.:( I had lovely wattle with orange balls and it was great and then it died! But I have others that are doing well and do attract the birds etc which is the idea of course. And a lot make great cut flowers. They are stunning rather than pretty. These are ones from a friend garden.
image.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL .. BREATHTAKING! Love that little caterpillar.. What camera have you got please? I will eat porridge every day to get my hands on that camera! LOL!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL .. BREATHTAKING! Love that little caterpillar.. What camera have you got please? I will eat porridge every day to get my hands on that camera! LOL!

I appreciate it! Nature photography is one of my favorite hobbies, and my native garden has presented me with a great photography subject all season long!

My camera is a Canon Powershot SX160 IS, and you wouldn't have to eat porridge everyday to get it, either. It's inexpensive. Mine was under $200 when I got it a few years ago, and I bet you could find it on ebay or amazon for around $100. I would highly recommend it to anyone who's into photography but, like myself, can't afford the expensive stuff.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate it! Nature photography is one of my favorite hobbies, and my native garden has presented me with a great photography subject all season long!

My camera is a Canon Powershot SX160 IS, and you wouldn't have to eat porridge everyday to get it, either. It's inexpensive. Mine was under $200 when I got it a few years ago, and I bet you could find it on ebay or amazon for around $100. I would highly recommend it to anyone who's into photography but, like myself, can't afford the expensive stuff.

Hi, Such wonderful and stunning photography.. Delectable and devine! I have stored the camera name. Thank you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question