Japanese garden.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I have seen some Japanese gardens recently and they really look nice. Do they give more work then regular gardens?
The reason I ask is because I remember seeing the combed sand and I know that it doesn't stay like that for very long.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Well, it surely does require much more dedication and care. I really like Japanese gardens becuase these look really nice and you can also use them as ornament for your house, rooms, or anywhere you would like to place them. These definitely need you to take proper care of them and treat them well if you want them to last for long, that's my opinion though.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Thank you for the response I have been doing more research and it does seem to give quit a lot more work then a traditional garden. I do like the way they look but since I don't have much time i think that I will look for something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I actually don't think they would really be any more or less work than a normal garden, once you have everything in place. If you're talking Japanese style like the raked stones, it would be a lot of work getting it to the initial point of laying stones, I think - having a good setup that isn't going to have a million weeds sprouting through is important, I think!

Part of me honestly thinks once all the set up was done that it would actually be easier to maintain than a regular garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like Zen gardens are less mandatory maintenance and more maintenance of enjoyment. Raking the gravel or sand is an art and form of meditation like doing bonsai plants. Whereas a typical Japanese garden, I feel, doesn't require much more maintenance effort than a western garden.

Ultimately if they can do a Japanese garden in Phoenix, AZ then you too can do a low maintenance Japanese garden.
Ro Ho En, the Japanese Friendship Garden of Phoenix

Ask a Question