Jade Plant

Reaction score
I was just given a HUGE jade plant. What is the best way to take of it? I have never had a jade plant before. It is beautiful and I don't want to mess it up. LOL!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congrats on receiving a beautiful gift. I just love the Jade plants, they do not take a lot of care and over watering can be a problem, you want to forget about watering the plant maybe once everyother week, the dryer the better. They can grow to be very large and beautiful.

Reaction score
thank you everybody for the great advice. It is a beautiful plant. I just love it and I don't want to kill it: ) The website was very helpful. I learned a lot on there. For example, I was given a philodendrom only to learn from the website listed above, that it is really a pothos.

dan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just given a HUGE jade plant. What is the best way to take of it? I have never had a jade plant before. It is beautiful and I don't want to mess it up. LOL!
Give it sun. Can live in good highlight if no direct sun is available. They have few to no pests. The biggest thing to remember is to go light on the water. Wait until the soil is quite dry. Water less in winter when days are short and the temps cooler. If grown in cool area, you might get it to flower!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother has more than 15 big jade plants:) They're very easy to grow. As far as I know, she waters them once or twice a week and that's all. During summer, we keep them outside the house. Right now, all pots are back indoors, because the winter is getting closer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I had a Jade plant that was easily 15 years old if not older. It really did not need a lot, occasional watering and I think I repotted it a few times over the years. My house tends to be very dry, especially in the winter and I have to admit I am not that great in keeping up on watering so I have quite a few plants that like it dry. The jades do not seem to need to much water. Just check the leaves, if they are sort of shrunk in then give it a good drink, you might have to water it thoroughly for more then a day or two, and then just let it be. I had always thought full light was important but now I have a new smaller Jade in the bedroom and the ambient light seems to be just fine. I did notice it is not as green, the ends of the leaves have some redness to them. I sort of like that.

Ask a Question