Is this a weed? Should I keep it?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
There is a bunch of this in my garden and in between grass I'm trying to cultivate now. Should I keep it there or pull it up?

Thank you for your help & responses!!

Attachments

• 20160825_130315.jpg
    20160825_130315.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 541
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I suppose the definition of weed depends on whether you like it or not. ;) I leave some things alone if they look interesting or have pretty flowers...

That looks like something that could spread fast and low and take over your lawn, though I can't identify it. I'm leaning towards pulling it up.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks very much like Purslane. If it is, it is considered a weed, but it is also edible, and (supposedly) will eventually flower. (I've never seen that happen. :cautious:)

IF is it purslane, it is a member of the Portulaca family. It can be eaten as a cooked vegetable and also can be used in salads, soups, or stews. The leaves are a very rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which prevents heart attacks and strengthens the immune system.

Purslane:

b4.jpg

p7170355.jpg

df53fa.jpg

There is a lookalike plant that is poisonous.

Hairy-stemmed spurge is a poisonous plant that is similar in appearance to purslane. Hairy-stemmed spurge is distinguished by a milky sap, which can be seen if you squeeze the stem. http://www.ediblewildfood.com/poisonous-plants.aspx#spurge

spurge-1.jpg

If it were me, I'd pull up some of it, and stick it in a container. It might get pretty flowers. (I think ours gets mowed before it ever gets a chance to flower! :ROFLMAO:)

Beware the Hairy-Stemmed Spurge!! :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
That weed looks like the tawa-tawa herb which is a cure for dengue. Coincidentally, a niece is in the hospital for dengue and we gave her a bunch of that herb for boiling into tea - when drank, it will increase the platelets of the patient. But I have to check with my husband for he knows better than I do when it comes to plants.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
There is a similar plant in my compound but it grows vertically not horizontally but does not bear the attractive flowers. It looks like a plant from the genus Euphorbia. I would recommend you to take a sample to the nearest botanical hub or herbarium and then post the samples for identification. In the meantime, I would recommend you to enclose it with wire mesh in case its poisononous before you establish its identity. It could be a weed but the definition of the same is relative since all plants were once wild.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
This sometimes grows in the beds, possibly coming from the compost I buy. The inconspicuous flowers are like this. Someone gave a clue that it may be Alternenthera [?]. Are these related?
ae7843.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do not believe it is purslane, but it might be helped if we could know where it is located? I have lived in three different states and all of them have a plant that looks similar, but it is a completely different plant in all three states. :-/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
It's hard to tell! I bought this before I found out purslane are common weeds. but it ended up spreading and turning into a very pretty ground cover type deal! I vote keep it and see what it does! (in a pot maybe, just in case)

Attachments

• ac7cdb186a0139ef5a0abf7e1e4662d9.jpg
    ac7cdb186a0139ef5a0abf7e1e4662d9.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 453
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings Marelise, welcome to the Forums.

The plant pictured in the OP is Prostrate Spurge (Euphorbia prostrata, formerly Chamaesyce prostrata).
It appears to be native to much of the New World, but is now also a cosmoplitan weed.
It is usually of little consequence to the growth of other plants, unless it completely covers them. Do pull out what you can, to keep its numbers in check, but don't exhaust yourself trying to futilely eliminate it.

The plant pictured in the third post is Common Purslane (Portulaca oleracea), in the Purslane Family (Portulacaceae).
it is likely native to southern Europe, Africa, Arabia, and southwestern Asia, but is now also a cosmopolitan weed, as well as being grown or gathered world wide as a useful leaf vegetable.

The plant pictured in the sixth post does appear to be an inflorescence of Alternathera, or a similar genus, in the Amaranth Family (Amaranthaceae). There are many species of Alternanthera and more character traits are needed for further identification.

The plant pictured in the 10th post is Ornamental Purslane (Portulaca umbraticola, or a hybrid), in the Purslane Family (Portulacaceae).
Portulaca umbraticula is native to the New World, from the southern United States down to South America. Garden forms have been specially selected and bred for larger flowers.

Ask a Question