Is eating flowers just as healthy as eating veggies?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know many people enjoy eating flowers, but may I ask what would be the purpose? Is it for health reasons as in an herbal remedy of some kind? I cannot imagine one getting much satisfaction from a flower, other than perhaps it were steeped in tea. I would love to know more about this, from a first hand perspective?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Some flowers add a flavor to salads; borage gives a cucumber flavor; others add color, such as chive or nasturtium flowers; and some when sugared, like violet flowers, are very pretty for decorations on cakes.
I don't know of any herbal remedy or health benefit, except that of eating what you have grown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess for some that whatever floats your boat....................................................................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I would like to eat flowers purely for aesthetic reasons. I don't really care about their nutritional value. In my opinion a plate full of flower petals looks very romantic, that's all:love: Ever since I remember, I've always loved pretty things.

Reaction score
I think they are just a garnish, to make the dish look pretty or decorate a cake. I don't think they have enough substance in the first place to be of great nutritional value. There probably are some that are used as herbal remedy, but I doubt they taste good, they are probably very strong in flavor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't think so. They don't seem to be substantive enough to actually contain nutrients or enough nutrients to be a substitute for veggies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I kind of always thought that eating flowers/using them in cooking was more for visual appeal than anything else?? I can't imagine most of them taste very good and to my knowledge they don't add much in the way of nutrition, either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Flowers are not commonly used in food but they are an herb and go great in salads and as a side veggie, Dandelion greens for instance. They are also great for making wonderful teas. Just be careful to look up information on the flower before you go eating it. There are some that act as diuretics and some can give you diarrhea also. There are some that are poisonous and others that you can eat one part by not the other. Really do your research before you try it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those that have eaten flowers must have found something wonderful about them. If there are benefits to this then that is good to know. I will stick to my fruits and veggies. I will leave the flowers to the little animals out there. Rabbits love to eat flowers and they can have them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I haven't really tried eating flowers. What do they taste like?
I can't say anything from my own experience, but I heard that every flower has a different taste. According to my friend daisies have a delicate mint flavor. Chamomile reminds her of apples.
I want to start eating flowers too:)

Reaction score
Well i have used dandelion to make tea but other than that i just used them for garnishing dishes...i can't say the thought of really eating flowers as really appealed to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Well i have used dandelion to make tea but other than that i just used them for garnishing dishes...i can't say the thought of really eating flowers as really appealed to me.
This is interesting! What does dandelion tea taste like? Isn't it bitter? I've never eaten dandelions, but I heard that they are a little bitter. I'm asking this, because I have many of them in my garden and I'd like to use them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know many people enjoy eating flowers, but may I ask what would be the purpose? Is it for health reasons as in an herbal remedy of some kind? I cannot imagine one getting much satisfaction from a flower, other than perhaps it were steeped in tea. I would love to know more about this, from a first hand perspective?

Here is a link to a thread that I did just now on Edible Flowers. There is a link that will take you to a site that list the flowers that are edible, you will be surprised because some of them, you probably have eaten before and did not know it.

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/edible-flowers.3846/#post-41192

Reaction score
This is interesting! What does dandelion tea taste like? Isn't it bitter? I've never eaten dandelions, but I heard that they are a little bitter. I'm asking this, because I have many of them in my garden and I'd like to use them.

Wow...Claudine when dandelion is roasted it has a similar taste to coffee and you just add a sweetener of your choice...i usually take mine with milk...it tastes pretty good.

Ask a Question