Intro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Y'all,

My name is Joe and I was born and raised in North Little Rock, AR. I joined the Marine Corps out of high school and retired in 2009 after 20 years of service. I then moved to Murfreesboro, TN and lived there until relocating to Midlothian, TX in 2013.

I bought a house last summer and it came with a garden (approximately 20' x 100'). I have never gardened so this is all new to me. I figured a forum may be the best place to learn and get some guidance from some seasoned gardeners.

I probably should have joined this sooner as I may have already done some damage to some of the 15 asparagus plants:(
Aside from those the only other thing in the garden is a BUNCH of volunteer tomato plants.

It's great to be here and I look forward to learning from y'all.

Joe C

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome Joe! We are in central Texas on a small farm, so we sympathize with the "challenges" of gardening in Texas!
What did you do to the asparagus? Asparagus is pretty tough, and may recover from any damage you may have done.
We have volunteer tomatoes every year--cherry tomatoes drop to the ground and I'm too lazy to pick them up, and next year I get to weed out excess tomato plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)A warm welcome Joe! There are people here who can give you advice and who you can share your gardening experiences with (the good, bad, ugly). I'll look forward to seeing you on the forums. It looks like you are in the Dallas area? Is that right? In that case you would most likely be in the USDA Zone 8a (indicating your climate type). This is helpful to know sometimes when deciding what to plant (i.e. what will grow well in your area), or asking someone for advice. Gardening kind of grows on people and at some point you will realize (i'll bet) how much the process grows your life. Gardeners do have a tendency to fall in love with their gardens:rolleyes:. The people here are nice and friendly so don't hesitate to ask questions. And, as a US citizen living in Mexico I would like to thank you for your service.

Reaction score
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you on board, and yes, you have come to the right place :) We have a really lively and active community filled with really helpful people ready to help :) So if in doubt don't hesitate to let us know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Joe! We are in central Texas on a small farm, so we sympathize with the "challenges" of gardening in Texas!
What did you do to the asparagus? Asparagus is pretty tough, and may recover from any damage you may have done.
We have volunteer tomatoes every year--cherry tomatoes drop to the ground and I'm too lazy to pick them up, and next year I get to weed out excess tomato plants!

Thank you for the welcome Marlingardener. As far as the Asparagus goes...I wasn't sure when to cut the ferns back. From what I read in a couple of different places it said you typically cut them back in the fall but it also said to wait until all of the ferns were yellow. I believe it said that would typically happen after our first "good" frost. I kept waiting and waiting and only about 3/4 of them turned and the rest were still green. I finally cut them back 2 weeks ago and it appears 1/2 to 3/4 of the stalks are dead. Some literally pulled right out of the ground with ease or many broke as I was cutting them. I'm new to all of this but that sure doesn't seem like a good thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you on board, and yes, you have come to the right place :) We have a really lively and active community filled with really helpful people ready to help :) So if in doubt don't hesitate to let us know.

Thank you Trellum. I will welcome all of the advice and guidance I can get :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
:)A warm welcome Joe! There are people here who can give you advice and who you can share your gardening experiences with (the good, bad, ugly). I'll look forward to seeing you on the forums. It looks like you are in the Dallas area? Is that right? In that case you would most likely be in the USDA Zone 8a (indicating your climate type). This is helpful to know sometimes when deciding what to plant (i.e. what will grow well in your area), or asking someone for advice. Gardening kind of grows on people and at some point you will realize (i'll bet) how much the process grows your life. Gardeners do have a tendency to fall in love with their gardens:rolleyes:. The people here are nice and friendly so don't hesitate to ask questions. And, as a US citizen living in Mexico I would like to thank you for your service.

Thank you for the warm welcome Beverly and for thanking me for my service. It was my pleasure to serve!! Yes I am in the Dallas area (about 25 miles South). Thanks for the info on the zone....I will need to do some research on what is best to plant. What part of Mexico do you live in? I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in the early 90's and went there a couple of times. Thanks again!!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. You have joined a great group of people to help with your garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Joe, the "wait until the ferns all turn yellow" could be in the next century! We cut ours back at about the same time you did. Some were dead and pulled out easily, others we cut whether they were just turning yellow or still were fairly green.
Gardening is a constant learning process. If what doesn't work one year, try something else. If it does work, stick with it! I think you are going to have success with some of your garden this year, and perhaps a failure or two. Don't worry--there are so many variables like weather, variety of vegetable, spacing--you will learn, and while you are learning you will enjoy your garden and eating fresh home-grown vegetables!

Ask a Question