indoor soil conditions

Reaction score
Country
United States
okay so I know every plant requires something that may be a little different from the next planet but generally speaking I seem to run into the same problem with each plant soil and wonder if there's something I might do differently. I've had several of my plants for a few years now and I've never changed the soil out because I didn't think I needed to I occasionally use fish poop fertilizer and water the soil when dry thoroughly. I've noticed on all of my plants soil surface there appears to be a rusty colored top soil that develops in a thin layer and a few of the plants I have started to attract tiny little flies . any suggestions??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
okay so I know every plant requires something that may be a little different from the next planet but generally speaking I seem to run into the same problem with each plant soil and wonder if there's something I might do differently. I've had several of my plants for a few years now and I've never changed the soil out because I didn't think I needed to I occasionally use fish poop fertilizer and water the soil when dry thoroughly. I've noticed on all of my plants soil surface there appears to be a rusty colored top soil that develops in a thin layer and a few of the plants I have started to attract tiny little flies . any suggestions??
Soil needs organic materials added periodically in order to maintain healthy microbial life. The microbial life in the soil is what enables your plants to uptake nutrients. I don't know what you mean by fish poop fertilizer but if you are using aquarium water that is not nearly enough. Fish emulsion is great but it alone is not a long term solution. It is more of a nitrogen source although it does contain a little phosphorous and potassium. Use a well balanced organic fertilizer like HastaGro. You might also put a thin layer of compost on the surface of the soil. The rusty colored stuff on top of the soil is probably mineral deposits from you water. As far as the little white flies are concerned you can control them by using spinosad as a soil drench and foliar spray

Ask a Question