I'm very excited....not so many casualties this summer!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
4 water tanks full of water ready for summer, no taps yet but it's only the last day of winter here today so my hubby has a whole season to get that under control. We do have some pretty hot weather even down south and each year I loose a few plants. I tried a watering system a few years ago which I set up myself and I must say it was my most "unfavourist" gardening job ever. I also did not like the routine of turning the different sprinklers off and on as I would often forget and also the fact that the sprinklers did not reach some corners so still had to hand water. Ir all seemed to take longer. Give me my routine of 3 hoses, 20 minutes and 1 glass on a warm summer evening any day ;)
rps20160831_080413.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh good for you! How is the water collected? Looks like those tanks are under a deck...?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one, will that last the summer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Oh good for you! How is the water collected? Looks like those tanks are under a deck...?
The down pipe is directed into the first tank and then piped to the next tank, the other two still to be fitted. They are under our deck so quite hidden away. Really looking forward to being able to being able to water liberally this summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Nice one, will that last the summer?
Don't really know how long the 4 tanks will last. I guess I'll get an idea once the weather warms up and I start to use them. Not even sure what size the tanks are. My husband got them from a factory he was cleaning out. "Waste not want not" i always say.(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Deborahjane, we have identical tanks that we use for rainwater collection. Ours look to be the same size as yours and we get 250 gal. of water per tank. We have two off the barn roof, and one off the garage. In the past we have had them gone dry once, during the worst draught Texas has had in decades. We water three vegetable gardens and a small orchard with the collected water.
I"ve included a photo of the one that get rain from the garage roof.
Good job getting four set up, and with adaptions for hoses! Enjoy watering liberally!

Attachments

• Water Collection.jpg
    Water Collection.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Deborahjane, we have identical tanks that we use for rainwater collection. Ours look to be the same size as yours and we get 250 gal. of water per tank. We have two off the barn roof, and one off the garage. In the past we have had them gone dry once, during the worst draught Texas has had in decades. We water three vegetable gardens and a small orchard with the collected water.
I"ve included a photo of the one that get rain from the garage roof.
Good job getting four set up, and with adaptions for hoses! Enjoy watering liberally!
Thanks marlingardener. The tanks do look the same. I showed my hubby and he was most impressed. We will keep you posted on the progress.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Seems like you have developed your own watering system, that's such a great thing, it also is really useful for warm seasons, good luck!

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Thanks Insecto. The tanks really should make a difference this summer.

I actually was thinking of doing something like that in my grandpa house's backyard, he has plenty of space from it and it really would be a good thing to do since it would have two functions due to the lack of water supply in his town, it's a great idea though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Sounds like a plan Insecto. Your grandpa would appreciate it too. Good on you.(y)
I'm looking forward to reaping the benefits this summer, my first one with my very own rain water.

Ask a Question