Identify this plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I got this for Christmas and it looks awfully wilty. I thought it might be a kalanchoe? Can anyone tell me what it is?

DSCF5144.JPG

Reaction score
I got this for Christmas and it looks awfully wilty. I thought it might be a kalanchoe? Can anyone tell me what it is?

Yes you are right - it is a Kalanchoe and would agree it does look very sorry for itself - which brings me to ask - did it come to you in that condition or has it acquired that look since you've had it ?
If it is the latter - although there is the possibility that it may just be - that its adjusting to its new environment - I think its probably more likely that it is either not getting enough light or far too much water - especially as Kalanchoes are generally best left to dry out in between waterings - as they require very little water at the best of times but even less during the winter months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I received one recently with red flowers that look almost like miniature roses. I made the mistake of watering mine as well. I cut all the spent flowers when it started to droop, and now I wait until it is almost completely dry before I give it any water. It developed new growth, which looks lovely; I need to remove the older leaves though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Yup it is a Kalanchoe, and I can really appreciate how you feel, I have managed to kill every single potted one I ever had. the only time they seemed to do well was when I actually planted them in the ground in the yard. I am not sure why they did better, I have many succulents in the house but that one just seemed hard. Funny you would think it similar to the Jade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I can't plant it outside due to VERY cold winters here. I did manage to save the first one I got, it bloomed for weeks! So, I'll keep trying with this one too.

Ask a Question