I love Lilies

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here are a few of the lilies I had at my last house.

PIC00158.jpg

PIC00159.jpg

PIC00167.jpg

PIC00105.jpg

PIC00131.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
All your lilies look so healthy, big and exotic! They're beautiful.
I love the little bee in the first picture:)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice! I enjoy lilies as well, particularly ones with shades of orange.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow. Those are beautiful.

They would go lovely against a nice backdrop of a solid hedge or bush of a monotonous green or deep-green cover. It would help them stand out, and it would bring a necessary dash of spruce to the front lawn. My only issue is the kids around here are jerks and probably would rip them out to give to someone for a free flower. My yard is open to the public as I live in town, so I'm limited in what I can plant each year. I basically do a budget for what goes where.

If I had an open lawn with a fence and lived outside the city, I could see growing a lot of lilies myself. And I'm a guy. Not afraid to admit they are beautiful flowers.

Reaction score
Lovely pics :) I love that little bee that got in the way in your first picture! It actually makes me happy to see bees, because I haven't seen one in a while, the last time I did it was just a couple of them. I used to see a lot of them before! Anyways, lovely lilies :) I love the fact they come in so many wonderful colors!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Lovely pics :) I love that little bee that got in the way in your first picture! It actually makes me happy to see bees, because I haven't seen one in a while, the last time I did it was just a couple of them. I used to see a lot of them before! Anyways, lovely lilies :) I love the fact they come in so many wonderful colors!
Funny that you mention it, I never noticed the bee before. I was so caught up in getting the flower focused, I didn't see the bee!! Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. I, too, love to see bees, especially honey bees. They are so beneficial for us gardeners.

Reaction score
Hehehe! Yeah, I can understand! Sadly those little winged friends are in danger, they say they could disappear and that is why they say we should plant certain things in our gardens to help them:

8205164.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hehehe! Yeah, I can understand! Sadly those little winged friends are in danger, they say they could disappear and that is why they say we should plant certain things in our gardens to help them:

I highly recommend Lavender. I've got two lavender plants and it is by far the biggest bee attracting plant I have. Bumble Bees in particular love it. Problem is we have to make sure those plants we buy aren't laced with anything.

The nice thing is that its super easy to start with cuttings. I cut a few off last year and brought them to my mom's. Didn't do anything but stick them in the ground & water them, and they all took off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I see that cleomes are on the list - I was going to mention them. The bees and hummingbirds absolutely love them. In the summer, on a nice warm sunny day, you can see dozens of each fighting over them.

If you're not familiar with them, they are an annual that starts blooming when they are about 2-3 feet tall, but continue to grow taller all season, continuously putting out new flowers. They eventually get about 5 or 6 feet tall. They don't need to be staked or dead headed or anything. And the really great thing about cleomes are that they reseed themselves.

Cleome.jpg

Reaction score
I highly recommend Lavender. I've got two lavender plants and it is by far the biggest bee attracting plant I have. Bumble Bees in particular love it. Problem is we have to make sure those plants we buy aren't laced with anything.

The nice thing is that its super easy to start with cuttings. I cut a few off last year and brought them to my mom's. Didn't do anything but stick them in the ground & water them, and they all took off.

Awesome! I know someone who has a lot lavender :) I'll definitely give that one a try! Honestly I had no idea lavender was so easy to propagate! I'll definitely get a couple cuttings next time I visit that place :) Would love to have a lot lavender in my garden!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will also give Lavender a spot in the yard back along the fence where the bees will not be near anyone who is afraid of the bee. I don't think I saw very many bee's in the yard last summer other than the carpenter bee's that like live in the wood on the deck.

The lilies are pretty and make me wish spring was closer, counting the days.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Lilies are wonderful flowers too and I would like to plant these one day along with other flowers. I did gardening work before and I enjoyed what I was doing because it was a relaxing activity for me. Flowers do cheer a person up if they are having a stressful day. Besides planting the flowers I also like to sit and watch the flowers bloom because it's truly an amazing site to see.

Ask a Question