Hummus

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FZSDV 2 March 2015 Hummus
Chick peas were made into hummus. The dried peas were boiled for 20 minutes to soften.Raw hulled sesame seeds were cooked for seven minutes.Ingredients sesame, peas, a tablespoon of olive oil, water, and garlic was blended to a smooth texture. Two batches were made. The end product is fine eating as is or it may be used as a spread. Salt can be added if deemed necessary.It is just another nourishing convenient food.
URL

Reaction score
Nice. I love hummus. Two batches wouldn't last long for my family because my daughter and I really enjoy hummus with pita bread.
It's probably cheaper to make it yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hummus and pita bread is one of the best snacks ever. I like my hummus to have a kick to it, so spicy peppers are a must. I imagine that homemade would be much cheaper than the kind you buy at the deli in the store.

Durgan- How long does your hummus last in the fridge?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Hummus and pita bread is one of the best snacks ever. I like my hummus to have a kick to it, so spicy peppers are a must. I imagine that homemade would be much cheaper than the kind you buy at the deli in the store.

Durgan- How long does your hummus last in the fridge?

I only allow it to be in the refrigerator for about 5 days and if longer freeze it. If I make enough it is brought from the freezer to thaw before the current container is finished.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I love my hummus with a little salt and a bit more lemon juice.

Do you like other Eastern Mediterranean "dips", like skordalia, or melitzanosalata, Durgan?

I like all three.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I only allow it to be in the refrigerator for about 5 days and if longer freeze it. If I make enough it is brought from the freezer to thaw before the current container is finished.

Does the consistency of the hummus change at all after it has been frozen? I know with some bean dishes, the beans get gritty if they are frozen. I don't even think I would have to freeze any of it because my family would probably eat it right up after I made it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Freezing doesn't change the hummus texture significantly, certainly not to the degree that it is objectionable. Mind you I haven't studied it deeply.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love hummus, I'd eat it most days given a choice ;). A little sprinkle of paprika on top too, yummy.

Do you like other Eastern Mediterranean "dips", like skordalia, or melitzanosalata, Durgan?

I'd never even heard of these before (although I've probably had them in a meze without realising), but I like the sound of them! Any particular recipes you'd recommend as I'd really like to try them, particularly melitzanosalata. I'm a big fan of aubergines and enjoy making caponata which is loaded with them - so I'll probably like this too :).

I've been having a lot of cashew dip recently (made by @Becky), I'm not entirely sure what it contains other than loads of soaked cashew nuts- but it's bloomin' amazing :D.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My children love hummus and they can down this in one sitting! For me, not too much. I guess I have to find the one that agree with my taste and my stomach, as the ones my children consumed didn't agree with me at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like a little kick to my hummus as spicy foods agree very much with me. Give me some spicy hummus and a bunch of cut up pita bread and I will be one happy camper. I wonder if hummus would taste good with some naan bread...I am going to have to try that out. I have been on a naan kick lately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Who needs addiction when you have hummus. I've gotten like 4 lb tubs of it from places like Costco and gone through it in a week. I should probably make my own sometime that way I can eat it all the time without draining the bank. Just set aside an entire day just dedicated to making it haha.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Different Types of Hummus Recipes
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WVHOZ

There are many different types of hummus that you can make, so there is sure to be something that suits you regardless of what your tastes are.

Classic hummus is made with garbanzo beans which are also called chick peas. Often it is prepared with just the beans, garlic, lemon juice and tahini. However, it can also be amended with other foods. Some types of classic hummus include green chili and cilantro, roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes and parsley hummus. You can add in most any ingredient that you enjoy!

Beyond classing hummus, many people enjoy black bean hummus. Other types of hummus that is commonly made includes edamame hummus and lima bean hummus. In truth, you can make most any type of bean into hummus!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WFDEB 6 March 2015 Hummus
Hummus was made using chickpeas, sesame seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds and some home made ghee.The small seeds were ground in a coffee grinder and cooked for ten minutes in the microwave. The dried chickpeas were boiled for 30 minutes and rinsed.All the ingredients were blended together and mixed in a pot. I use few spices basically, INJUN cooking. The finished product was placed in containers and frozen until required. I usually eat on a tortilla. Ingredients are only limited by one’s imagination.
URL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ambrose A. Dale

Latest Threads