How to trim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Please guide me on the proper way to trim these three plants. They were planted in their location in hast by a landscaper and we are concerned they will get to big and look like one mass. Note: The actual plant we wanted is shown in the last photo. Now that all have been in the ground for over a year we have learned to live with the contrast between the two beds. Any other advise is welcomed. Our goal are perennial/evergreen beds with low maintenance.

Plants to trim (three photos)
017.JPG

018.JPG
019.JPG

Actual plants that were suppose to there (one photo)
020.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lou, what you have is a pittosporum variety. They come in any size from dwarf (2'-3') to full size at 15'. To prune, cut back to the first set of leaf whorls on a stem.
Pitts are a very nice plant, but where they have been placed in your bed, they will just make a dense mass, no matter how diligent you are in pruning. Not low-maintenance.
Advice? Get hold of the landscaper and have him/her reclaim the pitts and give you something more suited to the site and the look you want. I'd suggest a native Texas small shrub for low maintenance, but I don't know what is available in your area.
Why not take an afternoon, visit a few real nurseries (not big box stores because they sell what is shipped to them and have little control over what they offer) and see what plants you like? You can read tags, talk to the workers at the nurseries who are usually pretty knowledgeable people, and give the landscaper several ideas as to what you would like instead of the pittosporums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
The landscaper fell off the edge of the world after our job. Will find something more suitable. How about the small low pittosporum that is in the opposite side?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
I would appreciate any recommendations for plants to replace the oversized pittosporums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Suggestions for both would be appreciated. The evergreens must be small. Zone 8a. Eastern exposure. Morning sun.

Thank you.

Ask a Question