How to get juicy, sweet blueberries?

Reaction score
I'm now up to 7 blueberry plants, spread out in pots and in my neighbor's garden, and expecting a large crop this year! What can I do to ensure they're juicy and sweet? I did read about how you should keep them well watered in the autumn because that's when the buds for next year develop, and of course keep them well watered while the berries are forming as well. But what about nutrient and sugar formation? What can I do to encourage that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Blueberries like acidic soil, so watering with rainwater rather than tap water is a good idea, as tap water can be alkaline.
Mulching with pine chips will also add a little acid to your compost, and feeding with tomato feed, when the fruit are growing is also a good idea.

I've been looking at blueberries to grow at my summer home, where there is not a huge amount of space, and found this:

Pruning blueberries

Blueberries produce fruit on branches that were produced the previous year. For the first two or three years of a blueberry's life it's not necessary to prune it much, apart from keeping the plant tidy. After this, blueberries need regular pruning to maintain plant vigour and high quality berry production. Prune them between November and March when the plant is dormant.
When pruning, take out any dead, dying and diseased wood. Locate the oldest canes and remove one or two at the base each year. Remove the old canes that don't produce much fruit to make way for younger, more productive canes.
Prune out low branches that will lie on the ground when laden with fruit and remove all twiggy wood on the ends of fruiting laterals.

Hope it's helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I ave a few small blueberry bushes that I found on sale at the dollar store. Right now, I have them set out along the edge of my veggie garden, because the soil is better there, and it is easy for me to water them along with the rest of the garden.
I am planning on moving them to the edge of the back yard this fall after they have grown taller, and later in the season when the bushes are dormant.
They didn't have any blossoms this year, so there will not be any berries, but I am hoping that they will grow enough that next summer, I will at least get a few berries.
I am going to put them along the edge of the back yard, as well as moving the bush cherries out there, and then they can be a hedge as well as produce berries.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Blueberries like acidic soil, so they won't be keen on a good veg patch.
If I was to grow them, I think i'd grow them in large containers, so that I could both limit their size and provide the perfect growing medium for them.

I'd imagine that, & lots of sunshine, & enough water would be the key factors.

Reaction score
I have three of my blueberries in large terracotta pots, so I can keep the acidity high for them. You might want to get one of those pH test kits to see if you need to do anything to your soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You can test your soil's acidity and alkalinity with baking soda and vinegar. I never check the soil because I know it hasn't had time to become depleted. I've added coffee grinds on top, pine needles, compost... but I think the biggest difference has been spraying the plant with banana water. The one thing you have to watch out for in a pot (with a drip pan) is not letting the soil get too soggy.

Last year I had 5 berries; this year I had a few dozen flowers but some got knocked off with two heavy storms (have to plan for that next year.) I ended up with just over two dozen berries, five of which finally turned blue about a week ago, but I think I picked them too soon.

Reaction score
Ah, I didn't know that about coffee grounds; I'll have to ask my sister for donations of hers, as she's the only coffee drinker in the family. Thanks!

My blueberries have started to ripen, and my sister picked some this morning, but I think it was too soon. They weren't very sweet, and they didn't have that waxy white coating yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Mine were powdery, but I think you have to wait for a darker blue to set in. Also, I read something earlier that said grapes need 8 hours of sun for the sugars to develop for sweeter grapes so I am guessing it is the same thing for blueberries. Mine are getting around 5 or 6 hours of direct sun plus indirect sun so I am hoping I won't have to move the plant just yet.

Reaction score
Everyone seems to be successful in growing blueberries, I am only testing it out and I am thinking it is just waaaay too hot currently to grow them. The place it is at gets like a half and half shade and sunlight. But the air must be too hot as the plant is starting to turn nothing. Soon it will be mulch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used to pick berries for an elderly neighboor and she always had the most gigantic blueberries I have ever seen. Some of them looked like grapes more than they did blueberries in size and they were always delicious. She kept the bushes less than 3 feet tall and watered them quite a bit, so I think this is the key.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My bush seems to be missing some of its berries. I looked around on the ground but didn't find any so I am assuming birds got them. A couple are blue, but shriveled and now I am wondering if it's getting too much sun. I'd been protecting it on and off from the wind and from heavy rains and now I am wondering if I need to put it under cover again.

Reaction score
Hello, Nearly a year ago, I bought 2 blue berry plants. They told me it would be helpful to have 2 plants instead of one because it would help pollination and we'd get fruit more consistently hence 2 plants. I bought these plants with fruit and in the year since I've had them, I have not had a single fruit. I have used coffee grounds, got some actual acidic soil mixture from Home Depot but nothing seems to make a difference. Lately it has been changing color. Is it dying. Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 799
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 692
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 790

Ask a Question