How should indoor Venus Fly Traps be kept for winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had two Venus fly traps in my window, and they did well for summer, but died quickly into fall. How should indoor Venus Fly Traps be kept for winter? Should I stick to using mini greenhouses or would that have minimal impact? Basically, what went wrong and how can I fix it with my next plants?

dan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had two Venus fly traps in my window, and they did well for summer, but died quickly into fall. How should indoor Venus Fly Traps be kept for winter? Should I stick to using mini greenhouses or would that have minimal impact? Basically, what went wrong and how can I fix it with my next plants?
In winter your house has lower humidity. They are best grown as terrarium subjects as they are bog plants requiring high humidity.

Reaction score
The venus flytrap requires a dormant period. It needs about 3 months at cooler temps, around 45 to 50 degrees. It will lose a lot of or maybe all of it's foilage, but without the dormant period, the plant will not thrive.

Personally I hate having to move mine out of the kitchen. We have a lot of fresh produce and fruit in the kitchen and I love the way it gobbles up the fruit flies we might bring home from the grocery store.

I do not grow my venus flytrap in a terrarium, but I do water from the bottom, mist it often, and if I am going out of town I put a dome over it.

Reaction score
I saw these little guys at the supermarket yesterday and almost bought one, but decided I'd rather save the $6 for food right now. They had little plastic domes over them, I thought that was to keep them from getting damaged, but it might also be for humidity. If you keep it in your kitchen there will be more humidity from the steam which might keep it happier.

Reaction score
I've been considering keeping my Venus fly traps in the bathroom this winter. When we take baths or showers the steam should benefit the plants. There's no other room in the house with as much moisture to offer.

Ask a Question