How can I keep these bulbs/corms 'til next spring?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My boyfriend found bags of 25 gladioli corms on sale. He bought 3 of them. Everything I've read says to plant them in early spring, and with temps in the 90s, it's just too hot for them. (And me!! :D ) (Not every "sale" is a bargain... but I do appreciate him doing it.)

Then, even though I know better, I bought a bag of bulbs for $1.50. Simply beautiful flowers called "Babiana stricta," which I have never seen before. It's too late to plant them, too. :(

Is there any way I can try to keep them for next spring? Should I throw caution to the wind and force myself to plant them in the hopes they come up?? :confused:

Any advice appreciated!!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I guess somewhere dry and cool is out of the question in Ohio. Got room at the back of your fridge?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If they are primed to grow then they will grow, even if not planted. I would bite the bullet and plant them out now. Plant them deeply ( a good six inches where the soil is cooler) and water them in well.
Don't forget these are South African plants and they are used to a fair amount of heat.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Owdboggy, and @Esther Knapicius, I've decided to store them in the crisper section of the fridge. I'll see if they're viable next spring.

They don't just need time to grow, they'd need time to bloom. I don't think either is perennial in my area. So if they don't have time to bloom, and spend the winter in the soil, they'll never bloom, anyway!! :eek:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Owdboggy, and @Esther Knapicius, I've decided to store them in the crisper section of the fridge. I'll see if they're viable next spring.

They don't just need time to grow, they'd need time to bloom. I don't think either is perennial in my area. So if they don't have time to bloom, and spend the winter in the soil, they'll never bloom, anyway!! :eek:

Is there anything I need to be mindful of while they "hibernate" ? o_O

Ask a Question