Honor gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you were going to create a garden in someone's honor, what would you fill the garden with? Perhaps it is because of someone passing, or maybe you just want to show someone that you love them and care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
If you were going to create a garden in someone's honor, what would you fill the garden with? Perhaps it is because of someone passing, or maybe you just want to show someone that you love them and care.
Rue.

Just one, from seed.
0kUAxk0.png

Reaction score
It depends who I'd be trying to honor with it. If it was my mo it would be kinda hard, because she didn't even like plants and she doesn't really care abut nature, lol. But I guess I'd just grow a lot roses, mostly red, but also hot pink, as well as white ones :)

Reaction score
If I were to design an honor garden - I would first choose a structure as a focal point - that either reminded me of that person or reflected something about the persons character - like for instance a statue, large rock, a fountain, a tree or a large shrub - which then would be complimented with plants that either

contained that persons name or something that they had a strong passion for
had a particular scent that they liked or I associated with them
favorite flowers that they liked or ones that reminded me of a particular time or occasion that I was with them

or maybe - I would just choose plants and flowers that reflected that persons personality - like for example - if they were lively, outgoing and always full of fun - I would use bright lively colors or cooler gentler much paler shades - if they were the more reserved quiet type.

Reaction score
I am actually in the process of doing a garden in honor of my brother who passed away almost 4 years ago very suddenly. He was young and is missed so very much that I thought this would be a wonderful way of honoring him. It will be someplace we can go to just remember him and talk with him if we like. It is going to be in our backyard and in distance to my kitchen window so I can see it from the house as well. I am planning on putting one single solar light too so at night I can see it still shining in the dark.

My plan is to use colors that remind me of him and things that he liked. He was always very happy and always could make me smile so I am using a lot of yellows. That is bright and cheery to me. :) I am also using a garden flag with his favorite football team.
I think no matter what you chose, it should be what makes you happy and what brings back the fondest memories of your loved one. :)

Hope this helps someone in need... I know the advice I have gotten in the past few weeks has been wonderful. :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
I hope I don't outlive my child, but if I was planting a garden to honor my daughter, it would have to have flowering cherry trees, because she's obsessed with everything Japanese.
I would also include a koi pond and a deer chaser.

Ask a Question