'Hi' from an avid wild plant nut!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi people

I am interested in gardening but also in seeing (and photographing) plants in the wild, particularly anything unusual including carnivorous plants, orchids, Aroids, gingers and other tropicals. Maybe my having seen many of them in their native habitats will prove useful in cultivating them.

I've also noticed some beautiful plant images in your forums so I hope I can make some useful additions. I have about 20 years worth of photos to upload to a site I am putting together but it's still early days. It's only for interest (I'm not selling anything on the site) so if the forum admin allows I'll link to it at some point - I have seen some very weird plants and for many the locations are at least as interesting as the plants themselves.

Cheers, Troy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Hi Troy,

Welcome! You're from one of my favorite countries - I love Australia and the unique flora and fauna you have there. Would love to see pictures of your plants - you've got me super curious now, with the comment about having seen some rather weird ones!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum Troy! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome and that sounds like a really fun and rewarding hobby!

What the heck flower is that in your avatar? :eek: Its amazing; never have seen one so large.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome, I do like to see the pictures from other countries. Ut gives you the chance to see plants that you may never see. We have some awesome pictures here on the forum.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This is the site I just started working on: [link removed by admin]
The first three posts are the format I am going with, the earlier ones I was playing around with but I intend changing them eventually.
It's just for fun and because (I think) I have so many interesting plant pics that I wanted to share; constructive criticism is appreciated.

The plant in my avatar is Rafflesia arnoldii, taken in Sumatra.

menraff.jpg

Cheers, Troy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Holy cow l looked up rafflesia arnoldii; how interesting!

@Troy , you can post photos anywhere in threads here; both the photography and showcase forums would be great. I'd like to see some more wacky and wild flowers. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The first three posts are the format I am going with, the earlier ones I was playing around with but I intend changing them eventually.
It's just for fun and because (I think) I have so many interesting plant pics that I wanted to share; constructive criticism is appreciated.

menraff.jpg

Cheers, Troy

My gosh that Rafflesia arnoldii is a real beauty. I can't stop staring at it's unique beauty, I've never seen anything like this before. Please share more of your interesting flower photos. I'm dying to see them.

Reaction score

menraff.jpg

Cheers, Troy

Oh my goodness I am in love with that plant! It looks like something out of a fantasy realm. I would love to have something like this in my yard, but I don't think I live in the right climate at all.

Ask a Question