Herbs..small containers or planter boxes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I really would like to plant a list of herbs that I have that are able to grow in colder weather, however I am torn on how to start them. I have small planter containers, as well as big planter boxes in my backyard. I was thinking using the containers, however my SO thinks I should use a planter box..any suggestions? I feel our planter box may be too big in size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say it depends on how much you are planning on using the herbs in cooking - if you are using them regularly then you'll want a big plant. Which herbs have you been thinking of planting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do not use a ton of fresh herbs for cooking so I prefer just to have little pots of then in the window sill. If you plan to grow a lot of herbs to use fresh and dry them later then you probably want to consider growing them in planter boxes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I grow my herbs in little pots. It's more convenient this way. Some herbs are spreaders, they can take over all the available space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Herbs is ideal when there is a big planting space so it is not crowded. We only replant it in pots for purposes of decorating the house (that's in the living room). But for using the herbs in the kitchen or dining, it is preferred to harvest it from the planter box because it re-grows fast. Our mint is very prolific and we sometimes remove excess branches so it will have some space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
It depends on climate and space available. I would be inclined to do both but have small planters or pots that can be brought indoors in the winter.

We have a large herb garden and grow most of our herbs there but some are too tender to remain out there during the winter. We use small planters indoors but if you are limited for space then individual pots on the kitchen windowsill work very well.

We also sell small planters, for outside and inside, for a charity we support (we sell thousands of plants, only a few herbs, to raise money for them). (y)

Some typical small pots.

P1100332.JPG

P1100333.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you planning on keeping these outside all year round? In my area it gets too cold and the plants die. I have little pots (a few inches wide and deep) that I keep my herbs in. I live in an apartment so I keep them on the windowsill. However, when I move to a place with an outdoor area I am going to keep the pots outside during the summer and just bring them in during the winter. I like having fresh herbs year round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would small pots for the herbs that you're not often use and big pot for the herbs that most often use. For example, we love sweet basil so I grow them in a big container, and chile and cilantro in a smaller container. Since you are in California, I am sure you can have them growing outside longer. Here, everything went to sleep already.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your usage will determine which is the best method for you. If you use a lot of herbs you need more growing at one time. If you use a little then a small container is enough space to grow your needs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'd say it depends on how much you are planning on using the herbs in cooking - if you are using them regularly then you'll want a big plant. Which herbs have you been thinking of planting?
The herbs that I know I can grow in colder weather are parsley, sage, rosemary,thyme, chives, and cilantro..all of which I have seeds for already! It's just a matter of figuring out how I want to go about it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you all! I love to use fresh herbs whenever available, so I'm thinking a bigger space may be better for me personally. I know if I happen to grow too much, I can always dry and save for later use! But most likely they will be utilized. I cannot wait to get started!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It depends on climate and space available. I would be inclined to do both but have small planters or pots that can be brought indoors in the winter.

We have a large herb garden and grow most of our herbs there but some are too tender to remain out there during the winter. We use small planters indoors but if you are limited for space then individual pots on the kitchen windowsill work very well.

We also sell small planters, for outside and inside, for a charity we support (we sell thousands of plants, only a few herbs, to raise money for them). (y)

Some typical small pots.

View attachment 9995

View attachment 9994
Thank you for the visuals! I'm thinking to utilize both, depending on what herbs I want different quantities of

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Are you planning on keeping these outside all year round? In my area it gets too cold and the plants die. I have little pots (a few inches wide and deep) that I keep my herbs in. I live in an apartment so I keep them on the windowsill. However, when I move to a place with an outdoor area I am going to keep the pots outside during the summer and just bring them in during the winter. I like having fresh herbs year round.
I am not sure about all year-round as of now, but if they do well and I can keep them going then I don't see why not. I love using fresh herbs when I cook

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all! I love to use fresh herbs whenever available, so I'm thinking a bigger space may be better for me personally. I know if I happen to grow too much, I can always dry and save for later use! But most likely they will be utilized. I cannot wait to get started!

Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to hearing about your new herb garden when it's done :)

Ask a Question