Help with weeds

Reaction score
We just started working on creating a landscape for our front yard. We had grass all over that we raked out and planted the juniper shrub right in the back and then the rhododendron and the spruce in the front. We created a border with marble chips and are filling the rest with mulch and will do a border with granite stones.

We laid the marble chips about a month back and I already see weeds and grass growing through. Can I use roundup to kill the grass and weed? Just concerned that we dont wanna damage the juniper and the rhododendron if we spray in that area.

I plan to lay newspaper and mulch in the rest of the area. Dint do that before laying the stones unfortunately :(

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 327
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 299
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We just started working on creating a landscape for our front yard. We had grass all over that we raked out and planted the juniper shrub right in the back and then the rhododendron and the spruce in the front. We created a border with marble chips and are filling the rest with mulch and will do a border with granite stones.

We laid the marble chips about a month back and I already see weeds and grass growing through. Can I use roundup to kill the grass and weed? Just concerned that we dont wanna damage the juniper and the rhododendron if we spray in that area.

I plan to lay newspaper and mulch in the rest of the area. Dint do that before laying the stones unfortunately :(
Use the Roundup on a calm day, no wind. To be safe cover them. Laying newspapers is a waste of time. The paper will decompose rapidly and the weeds and grass will grow right through the mulch unless it is thick. Even then it will eventually come through. You might think about using weed cloth under the mulch instead of paper. Newspaper works well as long as it can be replaced but not under mulch

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you do not want to spray a chemical try pouring some vinegar on the weeds. I use vinegar on the weeds that grow between the cracks, works to dry them up so they can be pulled up.

Reaction score
You will eventually have weeds even if you lay landscape fabric. Especially anywhere it gets punctured and where new soil forms on top from the decomposition of the mulch. So accept that part but you should probably rake back the marble chips and put some under there also to slow down the process as well as any new areas. If you must use glyphosate (the ingredient in Roundup) you can buy it in generic form at a much lower price than the brand name. I would cover the new shrubs completely before spraying and yes, only do it on a CALM day...and wear gloves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You will eventually have weeds even if you lay landscape fabric. Especially anywhere it gets punctured and where new soil forms on top from the decomposition of the mulch. So accept that part but you should probably rake back the marble chips and put some under there also to slow down the process as well as any new areas. If you must use glyphosate (the ingredient in Roundup) you can buy it in generic form at a much lower price than the brand name. I would cover the new shrubs completely before spraying and yes, only do it on a CALM day...and wear gloves.
Weeds and grass will come through fabric but here is a little trick I learned. When you lay your fabric down make it about 6" wider than needed. Fold this excess and either spike it down or cover the folded fabric with rocks or bricks. When the grass finally comes thru the fabric remove the bricks, unfold it and pick it up. It will tear all of the weeds and grass out of the ground and pile up the mulch and compost. Just lay it back down, fold it again and rake back the mulch and you are good to go for another good while. A good organic herbicide is 2 oz orange oil and a squirt of dishsoap into a gallon of pickling vinegar. This works very well in hot weather. Be sure to clean your sprayer immediately after use. If you don't it will eat out the rubber seals and you will be buying a new sprayer.

Last edited:

Ask a Question