Help with roses with white powder substance on them

Reaction score
Hello,
So I'm new to gardening and have this issue with white powder on my rose bush. It is planted in an area in front of my home near a wall, with little air circulation. I hired someone who seemed like they knew what they were doing but instead made a mess by planting things that grew to tall in odd locations, so I've taken it upon myself to try to fix all of it including but not limited to my roses. The roses still seem to be blooming, but it just isn't super attractive. The substance also smells. There appears to be something that looks like moss growing in the same area, weeds I think... Should I take out the rosé bush and replant it? Can I cure it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Shawna

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Shawna, welcome to the forums! :)

Sounds like it could be a fungal disease, probably caused by the bad air circulation. Have you tried any chemical treatments? Also do you have any photos of the roses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have problems with this white powder substance too!:( I'm sure it's a fungus, probably powdery mildew. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet. I only grow miniature roses so I can wash their leaves every day - it helps but it's time consuming.

Reaction score
I have had issues like this with my Rose plants earlier.. I have always cut them back leaving just a few inches of the stubble and painting it brush dipped in one part dish wash liquid and ten parts water. You could spray fresh water on the stump after 24 hours but not before that. This has always helped. Do not water plants late in the day. Do not mist them late in the evenings.

Ask a Question