Help please!

Reaction score
I live in northern Nevada and this stuff has exploded over my garden, nothing is planted now, but I don't want it here when I do plant. I've tried every trick I can think of to kill it: round up, moss be gone, and a Bayer moss and lichen killer and nothing even touches it. Any ID or helpful hints to kill it?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
I have no idea what that is. I would not recommend using round up in your garden. I would try to smoother it with a plastic bag. Out of sight out of mind. Have you spoke with any of your neighbors to find out if it is a native species.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
2 oz orange oil to 1 gallon pickling vinegar and a squirt of dish soap in the heat of the day. Clean sprayer immediately after use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never heard of that mixture before. Where did you find out about it?
This is a well known remedy here in south texas for many years. It works best when it is HOT outside. Sometimes it takes more than one application but it does work, and it is a lot cheaper than chemicals. What works even better is if you can find horticultural vinegar (20%) at your local nursury

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
it looks a little bit like what we call grape hyacinth here in the south. It looks like grass but has little purple bell-like flowers early in the spring, and the rest of the year just kind of becomes invisible in the grass.
It is hard to tell if that is what you have from the picture; but I can see that it looks like it has little purple flowers of some kind.
Maybe if you look it up on google, and see if it looks like what you have growing, you can tell if it is the same plant.

Reaction score
Sorry happyflowerlady but this miniscule plant called Sagina is very very different from Muscari or Grape hyacinths.
Muscari are a bulb with 6" tall green leaves and a beautiful blue flower in spring.
So very easy to prove it is not that by Mike2323 digging a clump up.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=grape hyacinth bulbs&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UidWU8rhO4qp0QXjy4CADQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=1019

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...o0QXh3YGYCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=1019

You can see the size of the plant when compared to the hose in the 2nd pic.
That is as big as it gets!
It has tiny green/white flowers which are almost impossible to see clearly unless you bend down and look very closely.
It is a very invasive pest and happily grows as seen in grit and gravel.
Do have a look at the links I added in my first post.
See also...

http://www.seasonalwildflowers.com/april/procumbent-pearlwort.html

The weed killer treatment suggested by chuck sounds VERY interesting...but I guess it would not be safe to use in a flower border or in paths amongst other plants.

Last edited:

Ask a Question