Hello from Ohio!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum as I have a lot to learn about gardening and I'm sure will need a lot of help! My husband and I just bought a house that sits on 2 acres and backs up to metroparks - lots of woods!! : ) The woman who lived in the home prior to us was a horticulturist and planted beautiful landscaping!! However, since she left, the yard has become quite overgrown and needs a lot of help. I LOVE nature and gardening, but have a lot to learn. I am not sure where to begin in the yard as far as what should be pruned, what shouldn't, and also just knowing what the plants are right now since it is winter and they are not in bloom. There are A LOT of vines all over and I don't even know where to begin with those! Any tips/suggestions/resources would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Brittany

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum as I have a lot to learn about gardening and I'm sure will need a lot of help! My husband and I just bought a house that sits on 2 acres and backs up to metroparks - lots of woods!! : ) The woman who lived in the home prior to us was a horticulturist and planted beautiful landscaping!! However, since she left, the yard has become quite overgrown and needs a lot of help. I LOVE nature and gardening, but have a lot to learn. I am not sure where to begin in the yard as far as what should be pruned, what shouldn't, and also just knowing what the plants are right now since it is winter and they are not in bloom. There are A LOT of vines all over and I don't even know where to begin with those! Any tips/suggestions/resources would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Brittany
Take a LOT OF PICS so we will know what is what

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! You are lucky that there are wonderful plants established in your yard. Just don't do anything to them until you know what they are! As Chuck said, pictures will help us identify the plants, and folks here can help you with the care of them.
Spend the winter reading up on all sorts of plants that live in your area, their care and culture, and when yours start to bud, leaf out or even bloom, post photos and we'll do what we can to help.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Think I know a song about Ohio:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! The lady that lived in the house before our old owners had kept these beautiful flower beds, but the last owners did nothing and when we got our back yard it was a disaster. It took us all summer to cut everything down. We had to burn dilapidated picnic tables and wood swings and take a chain saw to overgrown vines. Luckily, the outline of the old flower bed still exists! Now, I just need to get landscaping timbers and new soil and some energy. I'm sure they sell bottled energy in the gardening section right?

Ask a Question