Hello from mid-Michigan!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Found my way here via the Garden Pond Forum. :)

I'm not a novice gardener and have had vegetable gardens, perennials, and other growing things for many many years. But I can always learn new things. Last year I put in my first-ever asparagus bed and as of today, almost all the 18 crowns are coming up. I think we're pretty much done with the second brutal winter in a row and I am SO ready to get my veggies and annuals in!

asparagus.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome! I too am just now trying asparagus. I only have room for 3 crowns but then I am the only one in the family who eats them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi, from southwest Michigan! I just joined recently too :) Isn't spring just wonderful?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi back, y'all! tbendl I recognize your avatar from the pond forum - I've been lurking (and learning) a bunch there since I started this whole pond thing a week ago and I clicked through your showcase gallery.

Lori and Stephanie, hi neighbors. I totally love spring; it's corny but everything coming to life after months of frozen ice is just magical to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
With all your experience you could surely teach us a thing or two. Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello there, glad you found your way here. Your asparagus looked fresh and yummy already :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello there, glad you found your way here. Your asparagus looked fresh and yummy already :)

Hey Icy, this is just year two and I'm determined not to touch it until next year so the roots grow really strong. But by a happy coincidence, I stumbled across a patch of wild asparagus the other day while walking the dogs. Score! I picked enough for dinner and am going back for more this weekend.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Beth! I'm glad to see you joining us, it's always nice when a garden veteran joins our ranks, we can always do with some extra experience and wisdom :) I'm looking forward to your future posts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I remember, you are the one digging a swimming hole for the tiny puppy you have.. :D Mmmm asparagus, I am considering putting some type of edible garden in along the sunny side of the house and would love to have some asparagus. Was it hard to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I remember, you are the one digging a swimming hole for the tiny puppy you have.. :D Mmmm asparagus, I am considering putting some type of edible garden in along the sunny side of the house and would love to have some asparagus. Was it hard to grow?

LOL @ tiny puppy. All 120 or so pounds of him! That pic was day one of digging, it was quite warm and he was enjoying the cool dirt.
The hardest part of setting up the asparagus bed was digging it and mounding it up some (in retrospect I should have done a raised bed.) And weeding. Everything I read indicated that asparagus will not thrive if weeds are present, and while I'm lucky to have excellent soil here, that means vigorous weed growth too! Even with heavy mulching I still have to get out there every few days.

Edit, wow! Just checked my asparagus plants. Every one is poking up now and the ones I took the photo of yesterday, I swear they doubled in size.

royce in hole.jpg

Ask a Question