Has anyone used seeds from Dollar General?

Reaction score
I recently bought a couple boxes of seeds from Dollar General and had really good luck with them. I was wondering if anyone else has tried them? They're growing all crazy but the flowers are really pretty!

Reaction score
Yes, I have used seeds from Dollar General in the past and had great success with them. I have also bought seeds at Family Dollar and Dollar Tree with the same great results. I find no difference between their seeds and the name brand seeds. I have also bought their flower bulbs and have no complaint with them, either. The same lovely flowers in the spring.

Reaction score
I've used cheap seeds from the dollar store and had mixed results. I had some basil that did well but the morning glories died after producing two flowers. That might have been a failure on my part rather than the seeds themselves.

Reaction score
Yeah, I can't really say I've had any problems with any types of seeds - cheap or expensive. I'm pretty frugal and will go for the cheap version on most things, and I never thought there would be an issue with cheap seeds. The only issue I had was squirrels digging up my sunflowers :p

Reaction score
I wasn't aware dollar general sold seeds! thank you for making a post about it. I'm going to go look for some next week :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have purchased seeds from Dollar Tree and had no problems with the seeds producing a plant. My grandson needed seeds for a class at school, so we got the cheapest we could find.

Reaction score
Pat, sometimes my local library has seeds out for free. They are in the front with books on gardening. There are always several different kinds. If you ever need more for your grandson's class let me know and I can check if there are any available :)

Reaction score
I have used cheap seeds, but I have had mostly awful results, so nope, I don't even feel a bit tempted to ever try again. I rather invest a bit more on my seeds, that why I know it was my bad if they didn't manage to germinate at all.

Who knows, maybe I am not very good with seeds in general, but I have had a great success with cucumber seeds for some reason.

Reaction score
No but last year I got a strawberry jar and seeds from Big Lots for $1.00. The seeds did not sprout this year but the jar was worth $1.00 I felt. I hear strawberry seeds are hard to sprout. I've found cheap seeds at Walgreens before and they were fine. What I usually do is buy Burpee seeds at Lowe's For some reason they are about 1/3 the price of buying the seeds directly from Burpee. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Reaction score
I usually get better results from better seeds. Honestly I try to buy mine from the Mennonite store not far from our house. You can buy in bulk too if you want and share with your friends. http://www.morgancountyseeds.com/ . They ship all over too. I have bought them at Dollar General, Walmart and just about everywhere over the years but I've had many of them not come up at all or be low quality plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've bought seeds from Dollar Tree, which is about the same and they grew fine. I had bought carrot seeds because those are easy to grow. I have even had luck buying seeds from the thrift store before. As long as you are buying and easy to grow plant, I don't think it makes much difference where you get the seeds.

Reaction score
Wow. I shop at the Dollar Tree all the time and had no idea that they sell seeds. Although to be fair, every store seems to carry different inventory and I wasn't looking. I didn't know that Dollar General sold seeds either. I will defiantly be on the lookout the next time I go shopping.

Reaction score
I buy from them all of the time and have had nothing but great results! We have purchased both flowering seeds and vegetable seeds and our garden is beautiful. This will be the third year and all is still great! I do tend to check with the store manager to see when they expect to get their shipment of seeds from year to year. This helps me to know how long they have been sitting in the actual store. Hope this helps.
Danyel :)

Reaction score
Kind of surprised you are having success with Dollar General seeds to be honest. I wouldn't expect those type of cheap seeds to grow well to be honest. I didn't even know they stocked them. I'll have to try them out here shortly and see if they work for me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a box of 100 Impatiens seeds mixed with seed growing medium at Dollar General about a month ago. It was $1.25 and the little seed starter pots were $4. I figured if I got 5 plants out of it then I would have gotten my money's worth. To my surprise almost all of the seeds germinated and the earliest ones to sprout are now getting their second set of leaves. I'm more than a little amazed but I would definitely buy seeds from them again.

Ask a Question