Harvesting Italian Oregano

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
1464633698749.jpg
First time ever to grow and harvest any herbs. Probably old news for most of you but so excited & wanted to share.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Never old news when someone has a fine harvest of herbs! That oregano looks great--what are you going to do with it? Are you going to chop and freeze it with a bit of water to hold the clumps together, or dry it?
I'm harvesting oregano, parsley, and basil now, but I'm in Texas and the herbs have been growing for three months. I can't believe you have such a great harvest in Idaho in May!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Never old news when someone has a fine harvest of herbs! That oregano looks great--what are you going to do with it? Are you going to chop and freeze it with a bit of water to hold the clumps together, or dry it?
I'm harvesting oregano, parsley, and basil now, but I'm in Texas and the herbs have been growing for three months. I can't believe you have such a great harvest in Idaho in May!

We live in what's called the banana belt in sw Idaho my daughter is in se Idaho and is just now planting. I was going to freeze the herbs but this year I don't have the space so l am drying them. We planted quite a few different herbs and 4 types of mint. I had no idea the difference in smell and taste of fresh herbs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I love the term "banana belt"! So descriptive!
Isn't the dried vs. fresh herb difference amazing? The only caveat is that dried herbs have more of the oils concentrated, so are stronger than fresh.
Could you tell us the different herbs you are growing? We love hearing herb stories!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love the term "banana belt"! So descriptive!
Isn't the dried vs. fresh herb difference amazing? The only caveat is that dried herbs have more of the oils concentrated, so are stronger than fresh.
Could you tell us the different herbs you are growing? We love hearing herb stories!

Ok here goes we have..Sweet, Cinnamon, Spicy, Thai, Purple & Italian large leaf Basil......Catnip, Lavender, Garden Sage, Curley Parsley, Sweet Marjoram, Chives, Mexican Terragon, Italian Oregano, Lemon Thyme, Lemon Balm & Lemon Grass, Dill, Rosemary.....Sweet, Orange, Chocolate & Peppermint.
Although we plan to use all of the herbs some were bought to also help with garden pest control and mosquito repellent in the yard.
Would love to hear the kind of herbs you are growing

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Shaddy, that is quite a list! You really do have a BIG herb garden!
We have Italian, Mexican, and Greek oreganos, Flat leaf Italian and curly parsleys, sage, marjoram, large leaf Italian basil, two bay trees, rosemary, chives, and dill.
May I suggest that you give the flat leaf parsley a try--it has a lot of flavor and when chopped with a bit of water added, freezes well and adds a nice flavor to dishes all winter long.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Shaddy, that is quite a list! You really do have a BIG herb garden!
We have Italian, Mexican, and Greek oreganos, Flat leaf Italian and curly parsleys, sage, marjoram, large leaf Italian basil, two bay trees, rosemary, chives, and dill.
May I suggest that you give the flat leaf parsley a try--it has a lot of flavor and when chopped with a bit of water added, freezes well and adds a nice flavor to dishes all winter long.

Sounds like you have a nice garden, we are learning on the fly here you can almost hear the bugs shouting "here's a nubie" My husband wanted me to ask about your bay trees, are they real trees?
We will definitely try the flat leaf parsley, I don't believe I have ever had it. I will see if it is still early enough in our season to plant some. Freezing sounds so much better than drying! Oh well maybe next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yes, our bays really are trees! Be sure you get the culinary bay (lauris nobilis) and not the California bay, which isn't culinary. Fresh bay leaves have a milder and (to me) nicer flavor than the dried. We keep our trees in the barn during cold weather (they are in huge pots and I use a mover's dolly to haul them around). Bay trees can have multiple trunks and resemble shrubs. With judicious pruning, you can keep them in tree form. I don't prune, since I want all the leaves possible and the shrub form provides more leaves. We ordered three bay trees in 4" pots eight years ago, and two survived. Here in Texas I have them in afternoon shade during the spring/summer/fall. Your conditions are different, but I do think a bit of protection from heat/burning sun helps.
You might want to wait on starting flat leaf parsley until next year. Parsley takes a while to germinate, although it is easy to grow once it pops up. If you can find some starts at a garden center or nursery now, by all means get some and see if you like it.

Ask a Question