Growing Veggies In Pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10-B
Country
United States
Cold weather is coming up, and I was wondering if it was feasible to try and grow vegetables in pots for the winter season. I've seen those tomato growers that you can supposedly hang up or put on the wall, but I don't know if those work outside of infomercials. I can't see carrots doing well in a pot, but what about lettuce, perhaps? Has anyone tried this and can give me some tips on what to grow? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One can grow many different vegetables in pots. The main factor is the size of the pot and the growing medium.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can grow most vegetables in a pot as long as you leave enough space for the plants to grow depending on the vegetable. Coriander is an excellent choice though its a herb. The container should also have drainage holes and the soil well composted. Liming the soil is necessary to reduce accumulation of organic acids around the plant roots. Wood ash is also excellent for this purpose. You should also be able to loosen the soil in case it becomes compacted by inserting a sharp tool to probe the soil taking case not to hurt the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have herbs in pots aside from ginger which we use in the kitchen. Some other good for pots is onion and garlic which will thrive as long as there is enough water and sunlight. But the pots should be of a good size to handle the kind of vegetable. With tomatoes, they probably need more space so a bigger pot and a trellis when it grows high. Good luck to your planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Alot of people have those herb gardens which give them a way to have fresh herbs all year long. There are always herbs at their fingertips, and they can avoid the prices that are charged by the stores. I think this is a great idea really. With the right kind of light I don't see any reason why they wouldn't grow all year long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I've got lettuce, mustard greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, chards, and flowering kale all happily growing in pots this winter! They seem to be doing better than some planted in the ground, I say go pots!

Ask a Question