Growing Onions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Planning on growing onions? I just read an article in Mother Earth News on growing onions and thought I would share. It explains about the growing process with them to gain the best harvest. Its a pretty interesting read. Even mentions the different types of onions. Remember, Mother Earth News extends their articles into sections. At the bottom of each section is a link to the next one.

All About Growing Onions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is a really interesting article. I love onions and I'd like to start growing them. It doesn't sound like a difficult thing to do. On the other hand, onions are very cheap and you can buy them in any store, so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This is a really interesting article. I love onions and I'd like to start growing them. It doesn't sound like a difficult thing to do. On the other hand, onions are very cheap and you can buy them in any store, so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.
Perhaps the onions sold by greengrocers/supermarkets are better in your country than here in the UK, where everything in veg tends towards the sweet, sweet, sweet, so everything is bland, bland, bland.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got lost reading that interesting article! I would love to grow shallots and leeks! Now, just need to look for seeds! Winter here in Michigan is slowly going out, but I can start the seeds indoor for a while. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know about growing long day onions but the Mother Earth News article about short day onions is wrong. Short day onion seeds are planted during the first part of October and set out around the first of the year

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow long day onions, and the traditional day for sowing these onions in the UK is Boxing Day, which isn't late winter.
We certainly DON'T add any high-nitrogen fertiliser immediately prior to planting, and when harvesting, we ease them up with a fork until we hear a lot of the roots snapping, but leave them in the ground a week or so after this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Perhaps the onions sold by greengrocers/supermarkets are better in your country than here in the UK, where everything in veg tends towards the sweet, sweet, sweet, so everything is bland, bland, bland.
Onions here are really good. I guess I'm lucky:) I've eaten onions from a garden and from a store and I don't see any difference between them.
But I must add that I've never tried them raw, I always fry them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My dad used to eat his onions like apples, disgusting....

Onions from the store and from a garden are just about the same. I've never noticed a difference either except maybe in the shape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck, you have to remember that it also depends on where you are. Some places you can plant earlier or later depending on your climate.
Onions depend on daylight length, not the climate to make bulbs. That is why they are called long day and short day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland

Onions from the store and from a garden are just about the same. I've never noticed a difference either except maybe in the shape.
Haha, my boyfriend eats onions like apples too:p I always lose my appetite when I see it. Raw onions are so disgusting! I really hate them.
Most onions in stores in my area are bigger than those from a garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

You're lucky.
I like strong onions, and where I live, that means growing them for yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Onions depend on daylight length, not the climate to make bulbs. That is why they are called long day and short day.

Then why is it that when I tried to grow onions when I was in Florida and Georgia, I could not get them to grow right. I come to Nevada and I am able to take a store bought onion and grow it into seven? I think climate does play a part but soil is the biggest part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Then why is it that when I tried to grow onions when I was in Florida and Georgia, I could not get them to grow right. I come to Nevada and I am able to take a store bought onion and grow it into seven? I think climate does play a part but soil is the biggest part.
Day length is what determines if an onion will bulb. Florida and Georgia can only grow short day onions. If you planted long day they would fail even if the soil was perfect and the rainfall and the temperature were perfect. Sure, you can grow long day onion plants in Florida but you won't have any decent onion bulbs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In 2 or 3 years all of that straw is going to be beautiful compost and a perfect place to plant rose bushes

Ask a Question