Growing micro greens in a container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have been going out and harvesting my little mini-greens for my salad, and I love how delicious they are at that size. And when you snip off the leaves, they just grow a new one and keep on producing. Tiny basil plants are awesome for this, and add incredible flavor to the salad.
Well, today, I was reading an article about these micro-greens, and , would you believe..... They are packing 40 TIMES as much nutrition as they will have when they get larger !
I like growing the lettuce and greens in a large bowl, and then you can just bring the bowl inside and snip off the leaves that you want as they are growing, and then put the bowl back outside. Lowes actually had planter bowls with greens growing in them last year, and when they were closing them out, I bought one. It has drain holes in it, but you can do the same thing with a dollar store bowl or tray, and then drill or poke drain holes in it.
Here is the link to the article about the nutrition that is in the micro- greens.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/microgreens-have-up-to-40-times-more-vital-nutrients-than-mature-plants/

Reaction score
I agree with you happyflowerlady herbs and salads taste best when they are young and sweet. I usually cut my lettuces when they are two to three weeks old, that is when they are tasty and healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Eating really young lettuce sounds like a good idea, I must give it a try.
Personally, I love sprouts, I'm addicted to them. Mung bean sprouts are definitely my favorite, they make a perfect healthy snack, I eat them like they were candies:D

mung-bean-sprouts.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I love sprouts also ! One of my favorites is lentil sprouts, they are so cheap to buy a bag of lentils, and they sprout so easily, and just taste so great once they are sprouted.
A bag of lentils is usually not over a dollar and you can get a lot of sprouts from one of those little bags. They remind me of bean sprouts when they are ready to eat.
Besides putting them in salads, or just munching them as a snack, they are also terrific when you make bread. I shred up a carrot, and add a handful of sprouts, and some Italian seasoning, and a little garlic powder or salt, and the bread mix, all in the bread machine, and a few hours later.. Hot wonderful bread !

Reaction score
I love sprouts too and it only takes 2 days for them to harvest then I can just pop in my mouth or make salad with them. Not really that delicious but I eat them for the sake of health. If you have kids, this will be a wonderful project to to let them see how plants grow from seed in a jar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jeanne90, different sprouts taste differently, I'm sure you'll find some of them delicious, you just need to experiment:) My favorite are mung bean sprouts but I also really like radish sprouts - I often add them to my sandwiches.
Now I'm hungry!:p

Reaction score
I do a lot of sprouts myself. The Mung being a favourite with the family. Horse gram, black lentils, chick peas sprouts all taste great in salads. Just keep changing the dressing and you have different tasting salads. I can think of nothing healthier and tastier than sprouts with my meal.

Reaction score
I love sprouts also ! One of my favorites is lentil sprouts, they are so cheap to buy a bag of lentils, and they sprout so easily, and just taste so great once they are sprouted.

Exactly! Cheap, fast, nutritious, and delicious. I like the idea of eating the young leaves as well. I think I will plant a few of the sprouts to get some additional greens, as well.

Ask a Question