Growing Malabar Spinach, a hot weather vine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I was reading about growing a spinach type of vine called Malabar Spinach, and I had grown it a few years ago; so this morning I ordered a packet of it from eBay, and will plant it along the fence and let it climb.
From what I was reading, this plant really gets growing when it gets hot ; which is when most greens usually wither up and die, or at least get too bitter to eat.
The vine can grow well over 10' long, and has pretty pink flowers; so it is often grown just as an ornamental vine, as well as for a healthy and tasty green.

Apparently, in warm climates, Malabar Spinach is perennial, but a heavy frost will kill it. It can also be grown in hanging planters, and I think it would look beautiful on one of the tall pedestal planters in the house; plus it would then live all year around and could be continuously be harvested for salads and stirfrys.

http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-malabar-spinach-91477

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I hear of this plant. I must say that it looks quite pretty!:)
According to the article, Malabar Spinach isn't related to regular spinach and it doesn't taste like it when it's raw, so there is a possibility that I'd like it:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This isn't really spinnach but it is very close to it. It tastes almost the same and it is very heat tollerant. I have grown it off and on for years and recommend it highly.

Ask a Question