Growing Leeks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Maybe you could post the author of the articles you are providing links to?

This way everyone could browse for items , kinda like one stop shopping instead of having to keep opening new tabs?

many thanks,
lori

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Aha, took the time to follow a couple your posts which are links. I was hoping they would all be from the same source and I could simply bookmark just the one site to visit at some other time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
LOL, Here is a link to one of my most used sources. Mother Earth News

They have great information, not just for gardening... but all sorts of Organic and Green Living information. I have other sources, but I have to look them all up. I get RSS feeds from my sources.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6-7
Country
United States
Awesome. I may have to add leeks to my list of things to plant. My garden keeps getting bigger and bigger. The husband will not be pleased! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
LOL bet he doesn't complain to much when you show him the receipt of your food bill from the grocery store before you had the garden. If you have a copy of one or if you can just go get a list and show him how much you guys are saving on growing... and compare it with how quickly you can save funds for something he wants... he'll be pretty happy about your growing garden. LMAO

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would love to grow leeks because they are so expensive to but at the grocery store. Around here I pay about $4 a pound for them. One recipe that I really enjoy is a potato and led gratin from William Sonoma and it calls for about 3 pounds of leeks, plus some expensive gruyere cheese. I don't make the dish often because it is about a $15 side dish! Rich persons feast for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would love to grow leeks because they are so expensive to but at the grocery store. Around here I pay about $4 a pound for them. One recipe that I really enjoy is a potato and led gratin from William Sonoma and it calls for about 3 pounds of leeks, plus some expensive gruyere cheese. I don't make the dish often because it is about a $15 side dish! Rich persons feast for sure.
Leeks shouldn't be overly difficult to grow in your climate.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We got a new problem with Leeks, the leek moth.

Only recently arrived here, but it's wiped out my crop 2 years running now :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

It was so mild that we had leek moth in Cheshire.
I sprayed with garlic and chilli spray, (see organic gardening) and lost only half-a-dozen leeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

That is so sad Zigs. I too have heard that chili powder spray works well at getting rid of bugs. Stupid bugs always trying to freeloader off everyone's crops.

I am going to see if I can find some leek seeds and try my hand at growing them this year. How long does it take for this crop to be ready for harvest?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It was so mild that we had leek moth in Cheshire.
I sprayed with garlic and chilli spray, (see organic gardening) and lost only half-a-dozen leeks.

I didn't know I had them till it was too late, gonna grow them under fleece this year.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That is so sad Zigs. I too have heard that chili powder spray works well at getting rid of bugs. Stupid bugs always trying to freeloader off everyone's crops.

I am going to see if I can find some leek seeds and try my hand at growing them this year. How long does it take for this crop to be ready for harvest?

If you start them now they'll be ready late summer, but they're a hardy plant so do another sowing in a month or so so you can have some overwintering.

Ask a Question