Growing Big Max From Seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Hey, I started growing a Big Max 'pumpkin' from seed in my green house at the start of April and it was growing well in a little pot, had about a 5 inch plant with leaves, I then planted it outside at the start of June and it was doing quite well, even had a flower growing but now it seems to have shrivalled up and possibly died.
I was wondering if anyone had any advise on growing these to full fruition? Should I have put it in a grow bag and left it in the green house to fully grow? Or is it just the fact the weather has been hot/cold/wet/dry, so much variety in the last few months?

Thanks, any suggestions welcome! :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening forums

Probably the weather got it, not been the best of years with the wind this year.

They do need to go outside, it'd get far too big for the greenhouse.

Did you harden it off or just put it straight out?:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Thanks for the welcome! :) Yes it has been rather windy and rainy this year, not the best for growing veg. Hmm, yes now you mention it, I didn't harden it off! Could that have also largely had something to do with it? :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, probably didn't like being put straight out into the wind, took me several failed attempts at hardening off this year :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Aw no! Sorry to hear you haven't much luck either this year :) Right I will definitely do that next time round, thanks for your help!

Ask a Question