Growing a garden indoors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b and 6a
Country
Canada
I live in Canada so our outdoor garden season is very short lived. We're lucky to get from June until October.
I've always wanted to have a vegetable garden all year round even if it's just a few vegetables.
It's something I've tried looking up online a few times and have talked to family and friends but it never seems to work.
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck growing vegetables in the house and if so what kinds and do you have any tips?
Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I cannot imagine having the space inside to grow vegetables. The closest I get is to have my little hobby greenhouses and extend the season both ends. It's not just the temps that matter, it's the day length and hydro to run lamps can be pretty dear. That said, I do have a little area indoors for seed starting but it is still not a full fledged growing area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Forum member @claudine only grows indoors...not sure about vegetables but I know she's growing strawberries.
I've never entertained the idea. If you had enough room and money to run grow lights, it would be do-able. Many years ago I knew someone who had quite an elaborate (and very profitable) grow operation in his basement. He wasn't growing vegetables, though. :alien:

If I could afford a heated greenhouse adjacent to my little house I'd love to grow vegetables year around!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm just starting, Beth_B:) There are many things I still need to learn. Currently, I grow indoors miniature roses, herbs, an orchid, a carnation, different kinds of sprouts, a tomato plant and many wild strawberries. They're all doing great, but the tomato plant doesn't produce any fruits yet.
Angela, have you tried growing sprouts? It's very easy and they're super delicious:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Forum member @claudine only grows indoors...not sure about vegetables but I know she's growing strawberries.
I've never entertained the idea. If you had enough room and money to run grow lights, it would be do-able. Many years ago I knew someone who had quite an elaborate (and very profitable) grow operation in his basement. He wasn't growing vegetables, though. :alien:

If I could afford a heated greenhouse adjacent to my little house I'd love to grow vegetables year around!
I can't imagine what he was growing!!!!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm just starting, Beth_B:) There are many things I still need to learn. Currently, I grow indoors miniature roses, herbs, an orchid, a carnation, different kinds of sprouts, a tomato plant and many wild strawberries. They're all doing great, but the tomato plant doesn't produce any fruits yet.
Angela, have you tried growing sprouts? It's very easy and they're super delicious:)
You must have a magical atmosphere in your home with your indoor garden, Claudine. I'm not good on the indoor plants. Have lost 3 very beautiful orchids and would love to try again but don't want to be cruel.:devil:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You must have a magical atmosphere in your home with your indoor garden, Claudine. I'm not good on the indoor plants. Have lost 3 very beautiful orchids and would love to try again but don't want to be cruel.:devil:
I lost one miniature rose, one strawberry plant and two herbs (lavender and thyme) :( Fortunately, the rest of my plants are very healthy.
Orchids are extremely capricious, I'm sure it wasn't your fault! Don't give up:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think if you have the space and the grow lights to make sure the plants get the required amount of light they need you can grow what ever you want to grow indoors. You do have to hand pollinate your vegetables since there will not be any bees, birds or butterflies inside the house.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I lost one miniature rose, one strawberry plant and two herbs (lavender and thyme) :( Fortunately, the rest of my plants are very healthy.
Orchids are extremely capricious, I'm sure it wasn't your fault! Don't give up:)
Ok. Next time I see an orchid I can't resist I'll buy it and ask you for guidance. No pressure of course.o_O

Ask a Question