Ground vs. raised bed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My vegetable garden is taking off and is doing great. However, I've never been too satisfied with the garden. I've got a 15' X 30' space which used to be a dog pen. Of that space only a quarter of it is a veggie garden and I'm not satisfied when I know I can utilize the whole area. The main raised bed is 4' X 8' with smaller add on beds on the side.

This fall when everything dies back I'm wanting to dismantle the raised beds and next year plant directly into the ground. This winter I'm also thinking about stretching clear plastic sheeting over the garden and making it a makeshift greenhouse.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Raised beds have a couple of advantages over ground planting. A raised bed warms up a lot faster and a raised bed has better drainage. I can't think offhand of any disadvantages

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the main thing for me is convenience and accessibility.

I suppose I could move the current raised bed build and make room for more raised beds, 2 rows a bed, 4-6 beds plus room along the fence for grapes and berries.

I can leave 18" between beds for walking room.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Raised beds have a couple of advantages over ground planting. A raised bed warms up a lot faster and a raised bed has better drainage. I can't think offhand of any disadvantages
You raise a good point, I've thought about it and I think I'll keep the raised beds. Thinking about cutting the 8' X 4' in half and having 3-4 4x4 beds, 4 plants a bed, 18" apart. I'll move the herb box to the other side of the pen. The main idea is accessibility. Right now the garden isn't convenient and the area is a mess.

Next year I'm going to maximize the usage of the space.

I drew up an idea of the 2016 plan,
IMG_20150527_151612.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You raise a good point, I've thought about it and I think I'll keep the raised beds. Thinking about cutting the 8' X 4' in half and having 3-4 4x4 beds, 4 plants a bed, 18" apart. I'll move the herb box to the other side of the pen. The main idea is accessibility. Right now the garden isn't convenient and the area is a mess.

Next year I'm going to maximize the usage of the space.

I drew up an idea of the 2016 plan,
View attachment 6604
Something else to consider. If you can maximize sunlight by orienting your beds North and South thus giving the entire garden equal light as the sun moves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Something else to consider. If you can maximize sunlight by orienting your beds North and South thus giving the entire garden equal light as the sun moves
Might not be possible, the pen is on the east side of the house. The middle of the garden actually gets 8 hours a day in summer. the areas with less light I'll plant shade tolerant plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One other thing you might consider is some straw bales to plant in (google straw bale gardening.) Even if you only do a couple of bales for one year, you've got a ton of great compost and mulch for the next year.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I didn't know that it warms up faster. Thank you for sharing. Is there really no disadvantage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't know that it warms up faster. Thank you for sharing. Is there really no disadvantage?
I have had both. You may have heard on the news about the record rain and flooding in Texas? If my garden were to have not been all raised beds, I would not have a garden today.. Really, I know of no disadvantages to a raised bed. Maybe someone else does

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have all my plants in containers. As far as I know, there are no disadvantages to raised beds. They make every aspect of gardening easier and if you follow a square foot plan/rotation, you can get a lot of food from a small space. Raised beds are also an advantage for gardeners with special needs or physical challenges. And let's face it, we're all getting older, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Chuck, glad you didn't lose your garden in the floods.

My veggie plants are mostly in straw bales or containers. Just one plot in the ground for the space-hogging plants such as squash and cucumbers. I also can't think of any disadvantages with raised beds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are more difficult to grow good tight caulis in.
Why do you think that is? Could it possibly be that the spreading roots reach the sides of the raised bed and maybe the soil is less moist or maybe warmer than deeper soil would be? I don't doubt what you say but I have grown good cauli and brocolli in my raised beds but I have also grown loose heads too. I had always blamed the weather for it happening

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Caulis are practically rootless, and THAT is the problem.
They need the ground rock solid around the roots, really tight.
If you have a lawn roller, that's best for cauli's, or invite your friends to a garden dance.
These buggers NEED compacted soil, or heavy clay.
In my allotment I have a band of clay about a foot down.
I dug that out of my polytunnel beds in October, and put it where my brassicas are now.
Then I covered that with cattle manure, which bakes hard, but holds water, and for cauli's, I also STAKE them as soon as they're big enough to protect them from wind rock.
Plant them as deep as you can and earth them up.
If they can move below ground at all, you'll get loose curds.
Raised beds tend to be loose and give great drainage; usually an advantage, but not with brassicas in general, or caulis in particular.

Last edited:

Ask a Question