Greenhouse from French Doors & Windows

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen a few of these out in the country on drives between here in Knoxville. I have seen ones that were very simple with three framed doors for each side and a clear corrugated plastic roof. I plan on giving it a shot and build one but I am not sure the difficulty. Do you think it should have a poured foundation? pier and beam? or just maybe on post with no flooring so the plants can go into the dirt? Also what type of electricity do you think I would need. I imagine the only thing electrical I want is a heater lamp or milk room heater for winter. Would it just suffice to run a heavy duty electrical cord from the exterior of the house (maybe 15 feet.)

This is somthing similar: http://imgur.com/a/2wEoP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That was very pretty and clever way of using French doors and windows. I have seen them, but I can't do any of that.

I hope someone with more experiences come along to answer your questions. However, talking being sensible, I think you have to put down something for the doors and windows to sit on so they won't get rotten :) Just saying..

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is what my partner and I built from our old windows. We still need to finish painting and build the shelves. I will be running electric to the building this week. Right now I just have an extension cord running to it. I had to see how it looked once it was lit up with plants in it. Impatience is my best feature. Anyhow, I think it turned out well. The doors were even built out of the old windows.
14199670_1484917061522160_7602333570563221499_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That is fantastic Artemis! It looks like a very professional design, and I bet plants will do great in there. My grandmother used to have a sun porch, which was essentially all windows, and she could grow anything in there. She lived in an area where the climate was harsh so she needed an environment like that, and it was ideal I think. Your greenhouse reminded me a bit of it.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is very pretty. I would love to have something like this in my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
@Artimus that's AWESOME! Absolutely love the idea of upcycling something to make a greenhouse - I feel like I'm going to be scouring the recycle shops in my local area to see if I can make something similar! Think I'll have to enlist my hubby's help - but it sounds like a really fun project!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love this greenhouse! I saved a bunch of old windows from our remodel, but never had the ingenuity to do something like this! You did great - enjoy your lovely greenhouse!

Ask a Question